PDA

View Full Version : Big question!! Help!

Marco164
12-12-2004, 01:37 PM
So I'm trying to run the QT tank with just a spong filter and doing a bit over 50% water changes with aged water daily? well half tank in the morn then half tank in the eve...so its mixed... anything ppl know from this that i should be doing? Or not? The other reason is my 75gal the water is clear....but Nitrite went to outta controll so was wondering what i could do on that to? should i just let it settle more? I didn't have an extra air stone in the night before and they are kinda Jutty....but also breathin a bit fast...could this be because of a ph difference? mines between 6.5 or 7.0 And I think Cary's was 7.5....i'm running aged water on 2 parts R/O 1 part Regular tap water thats been agitated together with the R/O...any suggestions?

Marco164
12-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Anybody????

RyanH
12-12-2004, 05:52 PM
Hey Marco,

It sounds to me like your tanks are not fully cycled or are under-filtered. I would add a couple more sponge filters or a power filter and increase the water changes.

jeep
12-12-2004, 05:57 PM
Was your sponge filter cycled? Could account for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate being present. Nitrite comes from ammonia, so it sounds like your filter isn't cycled or aomething happened to the bio colony...

Is there any reason you're using ro/tap mix? Most peoples discus do just fine in straight, aged tap water. Depending on your gh-kh, you could be having ph flutuations. Keep a close eye on it. I would use just straight tap water...

In the mean time, keep up on water changes. It's the only way to remove your nitrites and ammonia until the filter is fully cycled...

Carol_Roberts
12-12-2004, 09:35 PM
How did you cycle trhe filter in the QT tank and how long has it been running?
What is the pH of your change water?
What is the pH in the QT tank prior to a water change?
and as asked above . . . why are you using RO with juveniles?

Howie_W
12-13-2004, 12:08 AM
Hi Marco,

As Ryan mentioned, get yourself another sponge filter or two running in that tank and make sure you're using one with an airstone to provide a decent flow of oxygen.

You do not need to use R/O in there, just make sure the water is stable and temp. is constant.

Howie

Marco164
12-13-2004, 03:39 AM
Hey well water reasons as i mentioned before are that my Tap water isn't suitable for goldfish as it were. My tap is VID...which around here is Agricultural water not really house water as it not good(everyone drinks bottled water, even to make coffee basically) plus if there flushing the system the water is literally black....Hardness is usually through the roof and vets say its not even good for livestock...plus if i use it i get sooo much mineral deposits all over the edges of the tank its horrible...Now i use the R/O just to lessen the mineral content and so far havent seen much of any build up so to me it seems good plus the tap water usually has a very high Ph...has been over 8.. Plus i have an R/O unit and have the time so its no bother. PH Sits at a constant 7 now after being mixed and agitated....and the 25gal doesn't have a cycled filter...Its basically being replaced totally everyday. And has a big airstone in it. I think i was just freakin too much tho cuz it was just there first day...There lookin alot better now as they adjust and already are eating around on everything in the tank! Its just a temporary thing till the Nitrite in the 75 gal is cycled...

Carol_Roberts
12-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Good. Keep nitrIte at zero with water changes and add 1 or 2 tablespoons salt per 10 gallons of change water to avoid nitrIte poisoning

ed8t
12-13-2004, 05:54 PM
Carol,

Would you suggest salt for even small amounts of NitrIte ie. .1 ppm...conventional fishkeeping would raise flags at .3 ppm of NitrItes?

Thanks

Carol_Roberts
12-13-2004, 05:58 PM
Better safe than sorry . . .

drew22to375
12-13-2004, 06:53 PM
Good. Keep nitrIte at zero with water changes and add 1 or 2 tablespoons salt per 10 gallons of change water to avoid nitrIte poisoning
I didn't realize salt helps with Nitrite poisoning. How does that work? Altho I always add salt to new arrivals for stress anyway.

Drew..

Carol_Roberts
12-13-2004, 07:32 PM
I think nitrIte binds to the same receptors in the blood as oxygen does. Salt blocks the binding. I may have it backwards . . .

Howie_W
12-13-2004, 11:15 PM
I didn't realize salt helps with Nitrite poisoning. How does that work?

Drew..

Yes. Elevated nitrite levels leads to osmotic shock. Introduction of sodium chloride helps replenish electrolytes, allowing the fish to breath easier...this is the primary reason for adding salt to your tank for new arrivals.

Howie

aggie_67
12-14-2004, 12:35 AM
If you are doing 50% WC twice a day, thats 100%. IMO at that percent filters shouldn't even figure into the equation. Check the nitrates in your WC, if it is really that bad may have to go all RO with suppliments.

ShinShin
12-16-2004, 06:47 PM
50%/2 x daily = 75%