PDA

View Full Version : best heaters

Eddie
12-22-2004, 04:42 PM
I was curious about the most commonly used heaters out ther. I'v got a couple of RENA heaters and they've never let me down until now. One of them just spiratically comes on. Even turning it up to the max it won't come on. My tank is a 29 gallon tank and I can barely keep the temp at 82 F. I was using 2, (150 watt heaters) but thinking of going to 2, (200 watt heaters). Any suggestions on the Brand and Watts. Thanks

oodi
12-22-2004, 04:59 PM
Hi basshead,

We've had good luck with Visitherms.

Judi

:)

Carol_Roberts
12-22-2004, 05:57 PM
I have a mix of heaters. I like the Won brother titanium heaters best, but I also use ebo jagers

jeep
12-22-2004, 06:10 PM
I've always like the Won's, but in my recent experience the 200w have a 100% failure rate within just a few hours. At $10 each to cover the 1 year warranty, they are now trash. The 50's and 300's are great!

I've started using Via Aqua titaniums recently (150's and 50's) and so far so good. I don't use glass heaters anymore...

joyofdiscus
12-22-2004, 06:27 PM
I am using the WON Brothers ***. 300 and 350W, not a problem.

Hank

troyclark
12-22-2004, 06:40 PM
I have used the Marineland Dual temps in the past and found they are junk. I currently use only Ebo Jager 150 watt for my 20's and 29's, 250 watt for 40's and 55's and Won Brothers 350 watt titamium in my young adult tanks. I found that the temperature indicator on the Ebo Jager is not accurate but once you get the temperature right they are steady as a rock. I have four of the Won Brothers and one of them started to malfuction after a month of use. I called Won Brothers and they sent me a new one and only charged me for the freight (10 $). I just ordered two more from Kens Fish for my 125.

HTH

Troy Clark

jeep
12-22-2004, 07:12 PM
I called Won Brothers and they sent me a new one and only charged me for the freight (10 $).

Thats my problem with Won and why I'll never buy another product from them again. I have 5 bad heaters that were defective and should never have been shipped out their door in the first place. I have a real issue with being required to pay $50 to replace defective merchandise that is under an alleged "warranty" ;)

Discusgeo2
12-22-2004, 07:25 PM
I once used the Ebo's but now I leave them alone because of too many failures. I am using the WON'S Titanium and they seen to be OK. I am also trying out the Odyssea by JEBO 500 w Stainless Steel aquarium heater in my storage tank and it works great. I like the digital readout on both temp setting and current temp of the water. Cheaper than the Won II. I am trying out the Jalli Titanium heaters and they are working out also. I havent tried the new Ebo's, I am waiting until all the old stock has been sold out before I give them a try again. In the mean time I am using the Won glass heaters in my 29 breeder tanks and they keep the temp stable.
George

discusboy777
12-22-2004, 07:35 PM
the EBO jagers and the guardian work best for me.

HTH

Cosmo
12-23-2004, 12:57 AM
Ebo Jager... been using them since they were green lol Have heard all the stories, but never had a problem with one..
Jim

RandalB
12-23-2004, 01:24 AM
I've been impressed with the Visitherm Steath recently. I have 3 of them now that were dead on right out of the box.

RandalB

jaydoc
12-23-2004, 01:59 AM
Agree RandalB
I have my stealths on a temp. controller and they are great. Harder to break than the glass ones also.

I also have Jalli titaniums. Have had 2 burn out and am now on my second set, we'll see. I still have them because they are the only titaniumm 500 watt that fit lengthwise in my current sump set-up. They worked great on a temp controller, right up to the day they burned out and the temp alarm started screaming at me. By the way, the temp alarm is a great gadget. Much more reliable than any heater I have had!
Cary

Eddie
12-23-2004, 02:08 AM
;) thanks for the all the input. I think I'll try the ebo's.

Tad
12-23-2004, 03:51 AM
Just recieved 7 new Visitherm Stealths yesterday. Always had good luck with Visitherms.

JME,
Tad

KD
12-23-2004, 10:07 AM
I like the regular Visatherms and started using Visatherm Stealth after I broke a glass one in an aging barrel- What a mess!!! I also beleive the Stealth shuts off when water levels are too low.
Karen

Howie_W
12-23-2004, 11:14 AM
For Titanium heaters, I've found the Jalli to be the most accurate temperature controllers, and I think they are manufactured better than the Won Brothers.

The problem with the Won Brothers titanium is the controllers are not always accurate...I think they have a significant quality control problem...some work fine, and others do not. In addition, the dial on the external temp. control is very loose, and easy to throw off if you accidentally happen to brush past it.

For glass heaters my favorites have been the Rena Cal Top Lights...I've found them to be accurate, and last for a very long time. Next I'm going to try the Vistherm Stealths as I've heard good things about them...I like the fact that they advertise a lifetime guarantee...that's hard to beat.

Finally, I usually run my heaters in pairs, so that I'm not forcing one to do all the work.

Howie

henryD
12-23-2004, 02:06 PM
I just replace my heaters every 9 months or so.

Figured it was cheaper to spend the 25 than replace $$$ worth of fish.

A good thing to get is one of those digital therometers.

Coralife makes a nice one that is cheap and works...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12089&N=2004+112986

Huy Nguyen
12-23-2004, 03:11 PM
I always use visi therm. Used 2 of 300Watt 9 years ago. Then I quit d/t moving. Took them with me. 2 years later I am still using the same one N been using for 2 years N counting. The temp was precise n accurate then N now. Never had a single problem. Visi therm always my #1 choice.

RichieE
12-23-2004, 03:50 PM
Supreme Heetmasters. Ive used them for over 30 years. (it may even be 40 the mind is going.) $11.04 for a 200w at That Fish Place. Very reliable.

Nikko
12-23-2004, 09:55 PM
I'd get a Won Bros./Pro Heat if there was a lfs that sold them. I like the Rena submersibles with the rachet temp control, it pretty accurate.

Discusgeo2
12-24-2004, 09:31 AM
I have the same digital therometers as HenryD does but I got mine at Sea Corals for $5.79 about a $1.20 cheaper than the doctors $6.99. It looks like they now have the new Eheim/Jager Heaters. The 150watt is $21.99 plus S&H and the 250 is $23.99
George

Sea Coral Digital Thermometers (http://store.seacorals.net/thermometers.html)

troyclark
08-08-2005, 09:17 AM
I know this is an old thread but where to you buy the Jalli heaters. I have a bunch of the won bros and am changing my opinion of them. I have lost three out of the 8 i have. I have two 350's on my 125 with 15 full grown beautiful turks and checked yesterday like I always do and saw the tank temp at 92. I found one controller to be really hot so I unplugged it only to find out later the other one didn't come on at all. My opinion is that Won Bros are junk. I am very nervous about the tanks I have Won's in until I get them switched out. Sound like Jalli is the way to go. Any opinions ????? Thanks

P.S. I also have a bunch of the blue ebo's going out on me too.

ronrca
08-08-2005, 10:35 AM
Your not the only one! A few of my WON titans have also malfunction. Some of them the external control burnt out. Looking into other heaters!

funkyfish
08-08-2005, 11:51 AM
i love my stealth heater got 7 of them and one of them had a bad seal in the top so i could not sumerge it all the way they sent me a new one no prob
i also have a 350 watt won\ bro titanium no probs
i also have a penplex 150 i have had for years with no probs

Discusgeo2
08-08-2005, 01:11 PM
You can get the Kalli's over at Custom Aquatic. That is what is currently in my 210 water storage tank. I haven't had any problems with them.
George
http://www.customaquatic.com/JHFHDJUHFUHRUTFII3/brandsubcategory.asp?brandID=JL&subcatID=he-aq

pugfiend
08-11-2005, 04:44 PM
I have 2 visitherms and I like them a lot - I have not had any problems with them. The only heater I can definitely recommend that you DON'T get is the Tetra heaters. I've had them in the past and they have all died within a few short months. I actually lost a lot of fish because of it one time as I didn't realize soon enough that the heater had died (luckily they weren't discus). Now I keep a digital thermometer on the front side of the tank and check it continuously.

Elcid
08-11-2005, 04:54 PM
I have recently purchased 2 100 watt Otto heaters off ebay that I am just thrilled with. They no longer sell the heater but you can still by the controller. The controller works like a charm! You can use it with any brand heater, maybe even your failed heater that the heat just stays on :o When the controllers on my last WON fails, I intend to buy this controller and just re-wire the WON heater and plug it directly into this controller. It's very convenient because the controller has a regular female plug rather than some pre-wired hookup.

Here's a link to the controller:

http://www.ultralifedirect.com/heater_controller2.htm

Good luck,
Sandeep

qieter
08-12-2005, 09:58 AM
anyone had any experience with viaqua titanium heaters? i just got 2-300W ones at $20 each which i thought was a good price...

Thanx

VIc

defchilde
08-12-2005, 11:30 AM
I too have had problems with my Won 500w, but my EBOs work beautifully, I have one 150w and two 250w.

shyvtguy
08-16-2005, 01:24 AM
I've had a wons brothers 1000w 2 years and love it :)

Aquaman68
08-16-2005, 02:25 AM
I've had great luck with Visitherm. I've had several that have been in use for over 15 years.

Cheers,
Aquaman68

jeep
08-16-2005, 09:13 AM
anyone had any experience with viaqua titanium heaters? i just got 2-300W ones at $20 each which i thought was a good price...

Thanx

VIc

I've been using them ever since my Wons fried out and I like them very much. The best thing is the controller can be placed anywhere so it doesn't take up as much space on the outlet as the Wons do...

discus4life
08-16-2005, 11:27 AM
i dont believe there is a best heater. i have used won brother, they went out on me with in two months, not one but two. i have use the stealth heater that one went out on me with in 4 month getting better. i have these made in china stuff and its still ticking. visi therm using one heat isnt all that great. best thing is to have some extra around.

troyclark
10-27-2005, 01:42 PM
I wanted to update on the stealth heaters. I have three of the 250 watt ones and one quit working about 2 months after I got it and another still keeps temp but shockes the heck out of me when I put my fingers in the tank. One of theme is still going strong. I put them horizontally on the bottom of the tank so It stays submerged during my big water changes. HTH.

I will be returning the two questionable ones after my replacements get here tomorrow. Will see how their replacement policy is.

Condor
10-31-2005, 02:37 PM
We need a poll!

jeep
10-31-2005, 04:29 PM

SSteino86
01-23-2006, 09:28 PM
I just tend to like to purchase an American made product. Nothing against the Won brothers or whomever, it's just I'm sick of giving my money to China.

Timbo
01-24-2006, 01:15 AM
i just bought 2 jalli controllers and a 500 and 300 watt titanium element from these guys.

http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/brandcategory.asp?brandID=JL&catID=he