PDA

View Full Version : Breeding size and sand substrate

Jeff_NZ
12-29-2004, 04:39 AM
Hi, im new here as you can see ;) Ive just recently gotten back into keeping discus

Just have a couple of questions to ask.

At what appropriate size are discus able to breed?

(what im wanting to know is if it is ok to breed discus when they are still small size, will there be any defects in their young even when their youg grow up.) As i have a pair of Gold Pigeon's that are about 4.75" and have spawned before succesfully > free swimming fry.

Also is it a bad idea to have discus growing up in a planted tank because the plants absorb required nutrients or that the substrate traps too much waste? what about sand, is that ok?

thanks
Jeff from New Zealand

Augusto Gadelha
12-29-2004, 09:43 AM
Hi Jeef,

I use tanks of 20 gallons for breeding.

It is normal adult discus that had not reached a size considered good pair up and breed successfully, you will not have problems with the fry in function of this.

I do not see problems of growth in discus created in planted aquariums.

FischAutoTechGarten
12-29-2004, 01:21 PM
Kia Ora,

I've raised juveniles in planted (never got over 4 1/2" TL) and raised juveniles in bare bottom (achieved 6 3/4" TL in just over 16 months). So bare bottom is the way to go for juvenile rearing.

However, I love adult Discus in planted aquaria. That's where I'm heading again.

If you don't mind me asking, where in NZ are you located?

Here's a good thread for Kiwis: http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=30143

Jeff_NZ
12-30-2004, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the feedback :)

I think that ill just be clearing out the sand from the tank and put my plants in another tank. Wont be too much hassle.

ODwyerPW- Located in Auckland, the weather atm is pretty poor, although its summer time its windy and raining.. one of the worst summers in a long shot.

btw- thanks for that link

ronman
12-31-2004, 11:04 AM
hi Jeff
i'm from nz (akl) too.
have been keeping discus for awhile now.

ronnie