PDA

View Full Version : Pix of Red Turq After Switching to Bits and Mysis!

The Discus Shop
01-04-2005, 04:15 AM
Hello Fellow Discus Fans,

About a month ago I switched from feeding my pair of RTs exclusively CBWs to a more balanced diet consisting of Tetra bits in the morning, Frozen Hikari BW for lunch and Mysis shrimps for dinner. I decided to cut out live CBWs from their diet after having a difficult time flushing out the dead worms and debris from the live ones. It took two days for the fish to accept these new foods, and now they crave them like there's no tomorrow. I'm very happy with the results. There's lots of growth, the red coloration in the male is amazing, and these fish continue to breed once a week.

I've attached a before and some after photos of the pair. Hope this will be useful to anyone who's looking to try new foods for their discus.

Dennis

***First pic below is the Before Picture when fed only CBWs...***

The Discus Shop
01-04-2005, 04:17 AM
***Update pic#1 with fish on new diet - they have their own breeding tank now***

The Discus Shop
01-04-2005, 04:18 AM
***Update Pic#2 of fish on new diet - male is on the right***

The Discus Shop
01-04-2005, 04:20 AM
***Update Pic#3 - male going after tetra bits***

The Discus Shop
01-04-2005, 04:21 AM
***Last Update Pic - male with cone***

discusboy777
01-04-2005, 03:25 PM
Hi nice pair.

The blues and reds appear to be more vibrant in the after pic.

did they breed when you wher only feeding CBW.

Brad

01-04-2005, 03:38 PM
Beautiful pair! I fed mysis when mine were juvs but now that their adults they won't touch it.

The Discus Shop
01-04-2005, 05:15 PM
Thanks Brad, 1977.

Brad - They did breed when they were on CBWs, about once every two weeks or so... but on the new foods the female now lays every 4 to 5 days. I did not think it was possible for her to be ready so soon! I just hope that the egg eating will turn into something more promising. Also, CBWs are suppose to induce spawning according to many on this forum... although my fish are doing great breeding-wise without it.

1977 - I think I've been lucky with this RT pair; they are very adaptive to any food after two days ... I know some discus can be more finicky eaters than others, and in my experience RTs have always had huge appetites.

Dennis

Jeff_NZ
01-06-2005, 02:07 AM
Great stuff! they are looking great.

Im currently feeding similar stuff to you.
Except i cant get mine to take mysis shrimp

The Discus Shop
01-06-2005, 04:22 AM
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the comment. Re: mysis I feed them very small quantities at first.

peteypob
01-06-2005, 03:59 PM
Beautiful Pair! I love the color on them, Im sure they will deliver some very nice babies. Where did you purchase them?

Pete

The Discus Shop
01-06-2005, 11:05 PM
Hi Pete,

Again, thanks for the nice comments. I actually purchased these fish from a LFS in Pasadena, California about 2.5 months ago (that's where the Rose Parade is held!)

I sorta lucked out finding these fish because originally I was just there to purchase some Tetrabits, but when I saw them in their tank doing the "dance" and with both in excellent health and following me around as I approached the tank, I brought them home. They have been very easy to please. =)

Dennis

Carol_Roberts
01-07-2005, 01:21 AM
He is very striking - excellent pictures!

The Discus Shop
01-07-2005, 02:24 AM
Thank you Carol~ :)