PDA

View Full Version : discus growth

discus4life
01-04-2005, 02:46 PM
hello all, happy new year a bit late but better then never.

there is a period of time that discus have a growth sprout. when do they slow down on growth. i know all discus are different. and i know water and other has a big effect on them. let say everything equal and condition are good. just want to hear from others experiance. thanks

Carol_Roberts
01-05-2005, 01:23 AM
Biggest growth spurt is during the first 6 months of life.

BGTW
01-05-2005, 03:51 AM
I will remember that Carol. I am about to get a huge shipment for grow out...

discus4life
01-05-2005, 04:08 AM
kool thanks for the reply, then i think i have a few that can go in my show tank. they are not really show quailty, but they been with me a long time and are my biggest ones. will try and get some pictures up asap

JeffreyRichard
01-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Someone correct me if they know for sure (like that would happen ...!!!) ... fish are like reptiles; they continue to grow throughout their lives. I've had smallish (NOT stunted) Discus and Angelfish that were kept in growout/group situations, and when later isolated as a pair sprouted in size, sometimes quite significantly. It seems the greater relative space (two fish in a 20 or 29 gallon) and better feeding allowed the fish to grow though they are mature.

This I believe does not apply to stunted fish, at least to the same degree.

brewmaster15
01-05-2005, 11:56 AM
Hi Jeff,
I won't correct you, more like clarify your understanding a little, based on what I know from an old vertebrate zoology course.

in theory lower vertebrates (reptiles and fish,etc) are thought to have perpetual growth...but keep in mind its not necessarily growth as we mean in terms of size...its actually more a terminology in whether the total body parts are being built (Anabolism) or destroyed (catabolism.) ... as long as there is more anabolism than catabolism the animal is "growing"... But this can be so slow and imperceptible a change that odds are the animal will die from other causes long before it exceeds normal sizes. (brew's very simplified explaination!)

If you are good with math and want to read up more on it.. this site has the equations and theories of interest...
http://www.clues.abdn.ac.uk:8080/mirrors/growth/ch8.4.html

I too think that that the greatest increase in size, ei.growth is the first 6-8 months.. and then I think there is another burst of growth...more mass this time between 12 months and 18months...probably related to adult hood and reproduction.

hth,
al

discus4life
01-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Thanks al and everyone who replied.