PDA

View Full Version : ebo-jager heaters

Eddie
01-05-2005, 04:26 PM
I recently acquired 2 ebo-jager 200 watt heaters. I guess eheim took over or makes the product now. Anyways, I see that everyone has thier heaters fully submersed. The heaters I received have a waterline on them and it says DO NOT IMMERSE BEYOND THIS LINE. What is the deal? The add in the magazine also said fully submesible. The illustration also has the top of the heater out of the water. Please help. Need fully submersible heaters :mad:

discusboy777
01-05-2005, 04:49 PM
hi

i just recieved the same exact heater in the mail today.

i was wandering the same thing.

basshead it works great not fully submerged.

Brad.

discusboy777
01-05-2005, 04:50 PM
pic

Eddie
01-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I guess I will have to keep the top out. The guy at eheim said that it used to be, and the words fully submesible were printed on the box but since eheim took over, the parts or the UL are still being tested and they can't put those words on there yet. He told me that he had 2 that are fully submersed and they have been for about a year now with no problems. I'm not going to do it though. I'd hate for my heater to be the one to prove that the parts fail. Lose all my fish and kill my power. A BIG NAY :(

discusboy777
01-05-2005, 05:02 PM
ya or even worse electricut them.

happend in a convict tank heater had broken over night dont know how next morning they where all eletricuted exept for 4 of them i was able to save. I stuck my hand in the water and got shocked LOL

Eddie
01-05-2005, 05:11 PM
yeah, don't need any of that going on. ;)

Huy Nguyen
01-05-2005, 06:29 PM
I think you mis-read it. I think the line on the heater indicate a minimum water level. In other words, the water level must be at that line or pass over it and that the water level can not be below the line. Recheck it to make sure it rights. All my heaters say that.

drew22to375
01-05-2005, 07:30 PM
they are fully submersible. Its just a liability thing. I have mine fully submersed with no problems.

Drew..

brewmaster15
01-05-2005, 08:06 PM
THey are definetly fully submersible...They have to say they are not submersible to maintain their labeling. If you buy them at a place like Jehmco.com they write ( fully submersible ) on the invoice .I guess the question comes up alot.

I have 10 of these eheim made ones in my tanks..so far so good.I hope that new owners reclaim the old EBO reputation... we'll see.

hth,
al

Eddie
01-05-2005, 08:06 PM
No, I spoke with the Eheim Rep and he said that they can't state fully submersible until testing is done. The line does say exactly DO NOT IMMERSE BEYOND THIS LINE. This means don't put the heater down into the water past that line.

brewmaster15
01-05-2005, 08:10 PM
That line has always been there, even before the eheim took the product over.

I'm sure theres a liability issue if they say otherwise and you should probably follow the direction of the rep....but theres thousands out there submerged.

hth,
al

ozarowana
01-05-2005, 08:24 PM
How long ago did eheim take over? Might start buying them again :thumbsup:

brewmaster15
01-05-2005, 08:51 PM
Several months ago. Careful if you buy them.. alot of stores still have the old ebos in stock...specifically ask for the Eheim ones.

hth,
al

April
01-05-2005, 10:03 PM
i believe i heard according to the csa approval they must have that on them. we all submerse them..
i hope they do improve their quality. maybe at least listen to the complaints...

Stephish
01-06-2005, 01:38 PM
I'm really glad this was brought up. I have a pre-Eheim heater (about 3 years old) which works fine, but I've always dutifully followed the instructions not to submerse beyond the indicator line. If the results of Eheim's testing could be posted when they come out I'd appreciate it!

jaydoc
01-06-2005, 02:31 PM
I solved this problem by switching to Visitherms! LOL

Seriously, the new stealth "unbreakable" models are sweet!

Cosmo
01-06-2005, 03:36 PM
I've used Ebo Jagers for 25/30 years... since they were all green :) fully submerged every one of them, including the ones I've bought within the past three years, and, ones recently bought that are now officially "Eheims". Never had a problem with fully submerging any of them.
Jim

allan_mark76
01-11-2005, 11:07 PM
I bought two brand new EHEIM EBO heaters. Both barely get above 87 degrees and the setting is at 92 on the dial.

:bounce: Same heater different packaging....

Tad
01-11-2005, 11:55 PM
I solved this problem by switching to Visitherms! LOL

Seriously, the new stealth "unbreakable" models are sweet!

Doc,
I just got in the new stealths and very impressed so far with their performance, and I like the fact if inadvertently out of water like during WCs they turn off automatically.. :) ...Was considering the new Ebo's since the change, but will wait to see more feedback on their performance. Im hoping the overall quality of the Ebo's return to the days of old!

JMO,
Tad

Cosmo
01-12-2005, 12:30 AM
My Ebo's easily get the tanks up to 92/93 if needed :confused:

Remember the good old days when they were green :D

allan_mark76
01-12-2005, 05:52 AM
I don't understand...why can't the company just produce the GREEN EBO'S like they used to...they would sell more heaters and receive positive feedback. I guess two wrongs don't equal a right.

:alien:

fish_maniac
01-13-2005, 12:02 AM
My ebo has a blue top and it has a min water line:confused: . Is it a old style or a new one?

Kam

heavyp83
01-13-2005, 01:54 AM
I spoke with the Lone Star Pets rep about this and he has quit pushing ebos all together sonce the buyout. He recommends the stealth and I'm getting one tomorrow for a test run.

The water line on the old ones read "minimum water level", the new ones read "maximum water level". Could be just a liability issue but I'm gonna let other people find out and possibly save myself some fish.

MattArmstrong
01-13-2005, 02:05 AM
I spoke with the Lone Star Pets rep about this and he has quit pushing ebos all together sonce the buyout. He recommends the stealth and I'm getting one tomorrow for a test run.

The water line on the old ones read "minimum water level", the new ones read "maximum water level". Could be just a liability issue but I'm gonna let other people find out and possibly save myself some fish.

The new eheims are not UL approved (which is some form of certification for electrical appliances in the United States). The new black "stealth" heaters are.

The only thing I don't like about the "stealth" ones is that they have no light that goes on when they are heating. There is something satisfying about seeing the heater light on. :) But the one I have heats the tank fine.

Eddie
01-14-2005, 07:19 PM
the eheim rep told me that it takes a long time for electrical appliances to get UL listed and since eheim took over some of the parts inside are different. they are in testing and he explained that he has 2 heaters fully submersed in a tank that has been running for a year or so. He told me I could fully submerse it with no problems but I'm not taking the chance. I like the heaters though. ALOT! I can easily get the tank to 92+ degrees ;)

fish maniac- you have a new one I think. blue top w/min water line