PDA

View Full Version : Its a proud feeling....

brewmaster15
01-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Its a very proud feeling when you get to follow someones journey on the path to discus Obsession... It started out with a harmless email about 3.5 years ago... Fellow by the name of Lester contacted me... He had a million questions about discus, always wanted them, but never took the plunge though.. gave him a few suggestions from where he could buy and the tank is stocked in no time.

Time flys... 1 tank turned to 2..4. buys a new house... and before the dishes are unpacked he is setting up racks and tanks, plumbing etc... tanks increase...5..6...10.. and more...... Guys buying fish left and right...jumps into wilds and gets hooked there as well..

Then it happens.. maxium capacity is reached and he decides , with some prompting that its time to sell some fish.. So he puts an ad on simply and goes The "local pickup only route" ...Shipping intimidates everyone.... he gets a little action there...but then a friend sends him some shipping supplies with an order of fish.. The standards...bag buddies, plastic bags, heat packs etc... and the stage is set ..

Rushing against the clock last night he packed an order of fish for the first time.. and barely made it to Fedex ontime... Then spent the night pacing and worrying that fish would not make. Lester still is worried and wonders how the fish are... Theres 12 young adults and adults in that box....Lester's very worried.. he was posting on Simply at 3 in the morning because he couldn't sleep.

The call goes to the customer in the AM that the box is there... and ready for pickup .. 2 hours go by and he calls the customer, Lester can't wait any longer.... a guy that goes by the name of Brew is the buyer... a guy known for his discus addictions.. same guy that slipped Lester the shipping supplies weeks earlier in a box of wilds.. ;) :D ( always a method to my madness)

ladies and gentlemen.. .... I'd like to introduce Lester's first successfully shipped fish.. Some very nice Blue heavens...A male and female...I hope.

Congrats Lester... The packing was great...even withstood an obviously crushed box.. and came in toasty warm as well...

-al

oodi
01-07-2005, 03:08 PM
Al... great story, and some very nice fish!

Lester... congrats on your most recent accomplishment. You've now come full circle!!

Judi
:)

Discus_KC
01-07-2005, 03:30 PM
Les, you the Man !!!!!!!!!!!!

Al,

It looks like you are over the top !!!!! You are a addict !!!!!

Congrats,

Jack

Northwestcoastdisc
01-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Hi Al,

They are pretty fish.

Duncan

Evan
01-07-2005, 04:25 PM
I reallly like those..

It's hard to imagine anyone getting hooked on Discus :D

lkleung007
01-07-2005, 05:30 PM
Hey Al,

LOL...LOL...LOL!!!!

I couldn't have said it better myself Brew. It has been quite a journey over these past few years into the wonderful world of Discus Addiction. I know that many of us have mentors and Al is certainly one of mine. I am honored that Al wanted some of my fish...I am just thankful that they all arrived alive and still swimming. But really a lot of the credit goes toward Brew who really got me going in this hobby...learning how to take care of these awesome fish and helping me out time and time again. Who knew that I would ever learn how to ship Discus!!!!!!

Thanks again Al for all that you do to in helping newbies like myself and to tirelessly prompt this wonderful hobby/obsession.

Your friend always,
Lester :)
(PS: may the Blue Heaven pair bring you lots of fry)

KD
01-07-2005, 05:57 PM
Lester,
Congratulations on your first shipment!
Al is a very kind and generous person, I'll get to meet him one of these days.
Good luck Al with the pair!
Karen

April
01-07-2005, 06:41 PM
now how is it that I knew immediately at the beginning of the story..that Al sent those shipping supplies..and instructions..and agreed to be the tester for lesters first shipment. lol.
great story..and great success. congrats Lester..your now a shipper.
worse than being a new parent eh?

lkleung007
01-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Hey Gang,

Thanks for the very nice comments!!

April, I didn't get much sleep after I dropped the box of at Fedex...about 3 hrs. It is really difficult to find an airline willing to ship by cargo. Most airlines require you to have an account with them first and use their services at least 6 times a year. The only airline that would allow me to ship cargo was American and I had to drive to Reagan International airport which is 2 hrs from me.

The whole shipping experience was so stressful...but I'm glad they went to Brew. One day I will try my hand at breeding...and maybe sell some of my offspring. Right now I am just happy with learning how to grow out Discus and give them lots of TLC.

Regards, Lester

korbi_doc
01-08-2005, 12:11 PM
:cool: :cool: Good job guys!!!

Carolina discus
01-09-2005, 03:36 AM
Great job guys!!!!
Les..... isn't shipping great fun!!!
Best of luck Al with them....

Eric

Ardan
01-09-2005, 10:54 AM