PDA

View Full Version : QT tank question

lado
01-08-2005, 08:44 PM
Hi everyone.I got 4 diskus i QT tank. Smallest cobalt blue had history of problems with eating that I tryed fixing with heat and paragon in separate tank.Its been 2 week since he's back to Qt. and he takes and spitt out food again.Ive notice now my malboro red stoped eating to. I do have SS Bully in charge of tenk do.He eats most of the food.SS has been 4 weeks in QT is that enough time in, and would that be taking to many chances by placing him in community tank. Thanks

Carol_Roberts
01-08-2005, 11:55 PM
You have 4 discus in a QT tank. The SS bully is eating most of the food and has been in the tank 4 weeks. You removed the small cobalt and tried treating in a different tank, then returned him to the QT tank two weeks ago. That cobalt and a Marlboro are not eating much if at all. You want to know if you can introduce the SS by himself to your community tank. You hope the remaining 3 fish in the QT tank will start eating if the SS is gone.

What all is in the main tank? How big are the fish? Generally it is not a good idea to indroduce only one new fish to an established tank. They will harass the SS unmercifully and probably he will stop eating too.

You don't mention the final fish in the QT tank. If that fish is currently #2 he will assume leadership if you remove the SS and continue harassing the cobalt and marlboro.

Lets talk about your QT tank. How big is it? Bare bottom? Water changes?

Your best bet may be to buy a tank divider and put the SS on one side. You need to get everybody eating and add all at once to the main tank. Tell me about the QT tank and how you are caring for it and the discus currently.

lado
01-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Thanks Carol for reply.Main tank is 77gl heavily planted with six discus ranging around 4",one bit smaller.There might be couple that is paired up and they are bigest in a bunch.They rule gang now.SS bully if introduced ,would be second bigest in tank.I do WC every third day 25%.There is wet& dry filter teamed up with fluval 304 filter.
QT is 25gl and beside above mentioned has White snow wich is second in command. HE/she is 3" and along with malb. red and cobalt has been for 2 months in QT.I had SS restraind with divider for about week.HE was freaking all the time trashing tank and injurying himself on divider so i let him back.I do 50% WC every day on QT.Im not quite sure what to do now ,leaninig tough towards moving SS to main tank. ADVICE PLEASE .Thanks

Carol_Roberts
01-09-2005, 10:13 PM
You can try moving the SS and the White snow to the main tank. This will leave the cobalt and marlboro in the QT tank. You can try treating those two with metronidazole in the QT tank. (try 400 - 500 mg two or three times per day. Tank should be above 92 degrees F and 50% daily water change prior to one dose) You can read more about treating with metro in the disease section under Most Common Treatments.