PDA

View Full Version : SOS

aziyaeian
01-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Hi everybody
Recently I fall at bad problem.
I imported new angelfishes and placed them in QT. but after 2 days they clamped their fine and go to the corner. I hade same experience before and each times treated them with tetracycline and did so this time too. I guess it was bacteria but I don’t know which kind. After a few days it transferred to the other tanks. I think through WC hose. Many of the angels have dead by now and the others are going to die one by one. They stand near the surface and breathe hardly. Most of the pairs do so. But the worst news is that, it transferred to my discus tanks. My fries do the same. Darkness, clamping the fine and forgather at the corner. Fortunately they eat brine shrimp (only). I tried tetracycline and streptomycin without any conclusion. Any immediately advices will be highly appreciated.

CARY_GLdiscus
01-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Try uping Your Tc dose to 500mg per 10 gals.

Or Try Furan2 double dose with 1/2 cup of salt per 10 gals with 1 drop of 37% hyde every 48 hrs for 10 days.

Good luck

Cary Gld!

aziyaeian
01-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Thank you very much for your fast reply.
But I tried 1250 mg TC at 30 gal. (Something near your advice). Should I redose it everyday?
Furan2 isn't available here but I can find Furazolidone or Nitrofurantoine nearby.
And finally I don’t know what is "37% hyde".
Again thank you very much.

CARY_GLdiscus
01-11-2005, 05:20 PM
Hello again,

The proper dose for TC is 250 mg per 10 gals. I would try 500 mg for every 10 gals.

Also sorry about the hyde thing! its true name is 37% formaldahyde.

Keep Us posted
Cary Gld!

aziyaeian
01-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Today they are like yesterday without any improvement.
I should try another med.
What is your idea about malafix?
What about densing salt?

CARY_GLdiscus
01-12-2005, 06:23 PM
They will look worst before they look better!

Melafix I would not! However I would try the furan2 cocktail mix!

Why not mail order some overnight?

Best wishes
Cary Gld!

jeep
01-13-2005, 10:03 AM
Furazolidone or Nitrofurantoine
Cary, are any of these similar to Furan II???

Carol_Roberts
01-14-2005, 12:30 AM
I bet they are.

aziyaeian
01-14-2005, 11:47 AM
then how can I use them?
should I mix them together? or use them seperately?

jeep
01-14-2005, 12:39 PM
I'm not sure of the exact meds you're refering to, but they sound very similar to the main ingredient in Furan II (Nitrofurazone?).

I would not mix them, and if possible I would wait until Al or Cary see this again. I'm thinking you should use the Nitrofurantoine per Carys instructions with Furan II :confused:

aziyaeian
01-17-2005, 09:14 AM
I tried salt in all my tanks.
add Malachite to one tank, Nitrofurantoein to another one and Acroflavin to the others. Nitrofurantoien worked only in one of my tanks. and I dont know what I should do for the others.
how can I strilizing all the equipments. I think this kind of bacteria is very strong and resister.
pardon for bad quality of pics

aziyaeian
01-17-2005, 09:15 AM
another tank

aziyaeian
01-17-2005, 09:16 AM
sickness in my angelfishes tank

aziyaeian
01-17-2005, 09:18 AM
I have treated this tank with nitrofurantoein.
they are better now
this is my first discus tank that fell at problem.

Carol_Roberts
01-17-2005, 08:13 PM
It sounds like the nitrofurantoein is working, so I would continue using it. Are you using double dose with 1/2 cup of salt per 10 gals and 1 drop of 37% formaldehyde every 48 hrs for 10 days?

brewmaster15
01-18-2005, 09:25 AM
Hi,
Looks like good advice so far from everyone. On the Nitro... that med can take 5-10 days to work... same for the tetracycline. Here in the USA tetracyclines are recommended by pathologists for a minimum of 10 days.

How long were you treating the tank that recovered? and how long did you try the other meds?

If the problem is the same in all the tanks, and the nitro worked in one, it should work on all, but may take longer on older fish..

while treating with these meds, I would do a minimum 50% water change, then redose the meds daily...Keep the tank as clean as possible, wiping down all sides.

How many tanks are affected and how many appear okay?

One other question and thing to consider... you mentioned this problem is recurring? how often? Its very possible that your primary problem is protozoan and these are secondary infections resulting from the parasites...That may be why they re-occur....just a thought.

-al

Wahter
01-18-2005, 12:42 PM
each Furan 2 capsule contains:

60mg Nitrofurazone
25mg Furazolidone
2mg Methylene Blue Trihydrate

(according to the back side of the packaging).

aziyaeian
01-18-2005, 05:11 PM
Hi,

How long were you treating the tank that recovered? and how long did you try the other meds?

I tried TC for at least 6 days then tried Streph... for 3 dayes and then switch on Nitro. I am not sure that tank has recovered. they do sometimes well and sometimes not. I continue med. they are the first affected tank. and by now I find dead fishes every day on the bottom.

How many tanks are affected and how many appear okay?

11 angel fish and 9 Discus`s tank are affected and 2 angel fish tank and 3 Discus`s tank ( my pairs) are okay

One other question and thing to consider... you mentioned this problem is recurring? how often? Its very possible that your primary problem is protozoan and these are secondary infections resulting from the parasites...That may be why they re-occur....just a thought.

I mentioned it about newly arrived fish not for my own ones.

It sounds like the nitrofurantoein is working, so I would continue using it. Are you using double dose with 1/2 cup of salt per 10 gals and 1 drop of 37% formaldehyde every 48 hrs for 10 days?

the question is what is its dose of Nitro...? 1 drop formalin in how mach water?
I tried to mix nitro.. with furazolidone ( 65 mg nitro... and 25 mg fura....) and add it to 10 gal of water after WC. did I acted correct or I should continue only Nitro?
I confused of many diffrent advices. I think I ame rolling up myself and change the med every minute.

Carol_Roberts
01-18-2005, 06:09 PM
One drop formaldehyde per one gallon of water (20 gallon tank = 20 drop or 1 ml or 1 cc of formaldehyde).

I would continue with the medication you have mixed ( 65 mg nitro... and 25 mg fura....) So for a 20 gallon tank that would be 130 mg Nitrofurazone and 50 mg Furazolidone). Dose everyday after a 50% water change with pH stable water.

brewmaster15
01-19-2005, 05:47 AM
If have both nitro and furazlidone, then definetly use both together...they work better together than alone in many cases, especially where antibiotic resistence may be occurring.

What you don't want to do is keep switching meds.. You aren't really giving anything a chance to work and are possibly creating more problems down the road with resistent bugs.

hth,
al