PDA

View Full Version : what other types of fish can live with discus?

discus101
01-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Can rasboras live with discus?

Or certain Tetras (Neon, Cardinal tetras)

:confused: :confused: :confused:

thanks,
Kat

Evan
01-12-2005, 11:18 AM
IME

Cardinal Rummy and Rummy nose Tetras. Neons do not like the warmer temps and will not live long.

Bristle nose pleco

Peppered Corys

There are more but these are the ones that I have experience with.

Mart
01-12-2005, 11:56 AM
Blue Ram are excelent tankmate too.

I have 2 of these in my discus tank and they are not picking or attacking anything.

~Mart~

oodi
01-12-2005, 01:50 PM
If you are going to have a community tank, I would recommend putting any smaller fish in the tank before the discus. That way, the less likely the smaller fish are to become food for the discus.

JME,

Judi
:)

CARY_GLdiscus
01-12-2005, 05:36 PM
Any of the Dwarf Gouramis do well too!

hth
Cary Gld!

Howie_W
01-12-2005, 07:07 PM
One of my favorite companions are loaches!...like Discus they do well in groups. :)

Howie

jdellman
01-14-2005, 12:56 AM
I am a newbie, but I spent alot of time tooking into the issue. I have Cardinal Tetras, Silver Hatchets, Cory Cats, Synodonis Cat, and a Royal Farawella. Besides these, and those already mentioned by others, I also saw the following recommended: Black Phantom and Red Phantom Tetras, Dwarf Apistos, Altum Angels, Gold Nugget Plecotomus, Upside Down Catfish, Polka Dot Catfish, American Flag Fish, Twig Catfish, Whiptail catfish and Dwarf Suckermouth Catfish.

You may want to rely on others with experience with these, but from what I saw, they were all recommended.

jsn
04-05-2007, 12:42 PM
I have had a very good experience with cardinals, rams and farawella cats. haven't really ventured into anyother types, tried clown loaches... but they were a pain with my discus for some reason.

FishLover888
04-05-2007, 12:50 PM
One of my favorite companions are loaches!...like Discus they do well in groups. :)

What kind of loaches do you have with the discus and how many? I tried yoyos and zebras, they did not work out. Wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I need some loaches to control the snails.

Gregi
04-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Stingrays are also good companions for discus.

Don Trinko
04-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Feeding can be a problem. Many fish are more agrresive eaters and the Discus may not get enough to eat. My discus are slow eaters and would not do well with Angels or others that are agressive eaters. Some Discus are more agressive and may do fine with other fish. Don T.

tpl*co
04-05-2007, 05:21 PM
The discus I finally end up with are alpha "In your face" discus so they are fine with red line sharks, tetras, loaches, sterbai cories, etc.

On the red line sharks I can see where a more shy discus may be put out by them.

Tina

Deepak
04-09-2007, 04:05 AM
Try this one :thumbsup: