PDA

View Full Version : Still having a problem w/ my discuss

netpirate
01-13-2005, 05:38 PM
Hey Everyone,

I have had my discuss for about 4 months now and about a month ago it showed signs of pop-eye (a pen tip white spot in one eye), so I treated it with Melaflix and followed the directions carefully. I put it in a 10 gallon hospital tank with my 30 gallon tank water and gravel. it successfully made it through the treatment and was swimming happly through is 10 gallon tank.

After a week after treatment I decided to move it back into regular tank, (with doing several water changes before). Its been about 2 weeks since I put my discuss back in the tank and its center has become dark, and it doesnt eat when I feed the tank (bloodworms). I assume it has to be eating something or it would be in a lot wrose shape then it is. I am not sure if it has another disease or what not. Also, the white spot is still it is eye, but my local fish store said it should clear up after a few more weeks.

Its tank mates consist of 8 tetras, 3 gupies, 1 black skirt (my first fish). All of else have been in the tank since my discuss has been in there and lived fine until my discuss got sick. Tank temp is about 84-86, PH 7.0-7.4, and everything else good. SORRY FOR THE LONG MSG :)

IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS OR KNOW WHATS WRONG PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Anonapersona
01-13-2005, 07:56 PM
http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/Q&A/eye_disorders.html

Sounds like an eye fluke, but you might also look at the age of your food. I killed a bunch of fish with very old food, and popeye and dropsey was a symptom.

What is tank temp?

Carol_Roberts
01-14-2005, 12:19 AM
You have one discus in a 30 gallon tank with gravel. You've had him about 4 months and his eye became cloudy. You put him in a 10 gallon for a few weeks then moved him back. Now he is dark and won't eat.

Cloudy eye is usually high bioload. What is your water change regimen in the 30 gallon? What type of filter do you have?

Turning dark nadn not eating is a common stress reaction. If you have not added any new fish I would guess a water quality issue.

netpirate
01-14-2005, 01:49 PM
You have one discus in a 30 gallon tank with gravel. You've had him about 4 months and his eye became cloudy. You put him in a 10 gallon for a few weeks then moved him back. Now he is dark and won't eat.

Cloudy eye is usually high bioload. What is your water change regimen in the 30 gallon? What type of filter do you have?

Turning dark nadn not eating is a common stress reaction. If you have not added any new fish I would guess a water quality issue.

The eye is not cloudy just has a white dot in it. I do water changes about every 2 days, and running a 170 Penguin bio-wheel, a surface water mover.

hexed
01-15-2005, 02:05 AM
When doing water changes are you getting every part of the gravel and are you pushing the vacuum down til it hits the bottom? Do you have plants in the tank? If so are you removing any brown leaves? Are there any decorations, if so do you remove them and clean them off and vacuum under them? Do you have an underground filter in the tank? Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
Never be sorry for writing long messages, only you can describe your tank and/or any problems. The more we know the easier it is to help. What I do is write down what my fish looked like before and what it looks like now in full detail including the color of it's "poop", then my water perimeters (ammonia, temp, etc), then what is exactly in my tank and how I clean it. This will get me a more accurate result for the problem. See it's good to write long massages ;)

ShinShin
01-16-2005, 01:08 PM
You don't mention what type of tetras you have besides the black skirt tetra. None of the other besides the "8" are suitable tankmates for your discus, and depending on the species, the other "8" may not be either.

For starters, I would dump the gravel and tankmates, sterilize the tank, and just keep discus in it. A bushynose pleco would be a fine addition, provided you treat it in a seperate tank for both internal and external parasites first.