PDA

View Full Version : U.V sterilizer question and tank flow rates

Gary Coleman
01-17-2005, 07:45 PM
Hello all! I'll be setting up a planted Discus tank over the next few weeks and was hoping I could get some feedback from the experts. It will be a 75 gal with pressurized CO2 system. Problem is, the external CO2 reactor I'm using (Aqua medic 1000)needs a flow rate of 200 gph. The Eheim pro 2128 I'm getting will cover that, but I was also planning on getting a U.V sterilizer for the tank (turbotwist 18watt).I will need another canister filter rated at 150 gph, is that too much flow? And how many of you actually use U.V sterilzers anyway? I want my fish's health to be top priority, so any advice/suggestions you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thx in advance!

FischAutoTechGarten
01-17-2005, 07:52 PM
Whattcha talkin 'bout Willis? a dime for everytime you've heard that?

the U.V. sterilizer is the last thing in the circuit before returning the water to the tank. You can create a parallel branch after the filter and reactor, diverting some of the water through the UV sterilizer so that it gets the proper dwell, then bring both branches together before introducting back to the tank. Use a ball valve before the uv sterilizer to adjust flow. Of course this means you aren't treating all of the water through the UV sterilizer each time you turn the water over in the tank. However, at 18W for a 75, you should be good as everything gets through the sterilizer at least once an hour.

I used a 25watt unit on a 120 with a fair amount of flow and the water was crystal clear! Without the UV, I'd get slightly green water (this was a juvenile Discus barebottom growout tank). So I know the dwell through the UV was good.

Gary Coleman
01-17-2005, 08:24 PM
Thx for the quick reply Odwyerpw. What do you think is the proper dwell flow for the 18w? Or would a 9w be sufficient for a 75 gal tank? I'd like to get a dedicated filter for the sterilizer and for some extra filtration(thinking of an eheim Ecco). And what is the general consencus regarding flow in a discus tank, how many times should it be turned over an hour?Thx again

FischAutoTechGarten
01-17-2005, 10:53 PM
Gary,
I'm not a fan of any of those closed system filtration systems. In fact, I just sold a very large, very expensive Eheim (forget model #) at a garage sale this summer for $10. I like homemade Wet/Drys. So I'm not the best one to ask about canister filters.

I'd check the specs for the UV you are going to buy for dwell. I like to turn my water over every 30 minutes.