PDA

View Full Version : Holiday cover

ledcam
01-18-2005, 07:03 AM
Bearing in mind the frequent water changes needed to keep discus happy, what do you do to cover those periods, say up to two weeks, when you are away from home on vacation? This assumes that there is no other experienced individual to take on the responsibilities in your absence. Help!

Carol_Roberts
01-18-2005, 05:59 PM
I don't go away for two weeks, lol. Adults can go a week or two with no food and no water changes. Feed heavy the month before vacation. Clean tank really good, do a couple of big water changes, turn off lights, don't feed.

Juveniles can go three days with no food or water changes.

ledcam
01-19-2005, 06:03 AM
Thank you. I appreciate your comments.

jaydoc
01-19-2005, 12:06 PM
I don't go away for two weeks, lol. Adults can go a week or two with no food and no water changes. Feed heavy the month before vacation. Clean tank really good, do a couple of big water changes, turn off lights, don't feed.

Juveniles can go three days with no food or water changes.
Carol,
What size do you consider to be juvenile? How long can you leave 3-5" fish in your opinion? Is it acceptable to use an auto feeder to give 1 or 2 light feedings per day while gone? ( I agree it is best not to leave the little buggers- I try to make sure I don't have any extended leave planned for the next 3-4 months after I get new fish.)
Cary
Cary

Carol_Roberts
01-19-2005, 05:05 PM
With growing juveniles it's a gamble to use an auto feeder. Water quality will suffer. Which is better bad water or or no food for a week . . .

If they are close to a year old I'd not feed while you were gone.

Cosmo
01-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Sorry... you're not allowed to leave the fish alone for two weeks... focus on your priorities here... cancel your vacation plans and tend to your fish :D

Ok, but you brought up something my wife tends to bring up whenever the word vacation comes up LOL Fortunately, I have one daughter who I believe is trainable.... haven't put her to the test yet though...

if someone will be home, there are lfs's that do WC service for a fee

good luck
Jim

PS... how could you enjoy a vacation not knowing your fish were ok :confused: