PDA

View Full Version : first time spawning!!

crazy4discus
01-19-2005, 04:39 AM
finally after 18 months of age i got a breeding pair... they just layed there eggs right now.. the female is laying tons of eggs.. the male is following up but is also looking like hes eatting the eggs... so what should i do? the male is a 5.5 cobalt and the female is a 5.5 bd both same age... female is doing her job male was doing his job intil he started eatting eggs... i can get pixs but there to big i dont know how to resize pictures!!!.. well im a newbie at this so any help is a big thanks of what i should do now...

Huy Nguyen
01-19-2005, 04:46 AM
Hi, are using cone? You would want to replace it w/ a flat concrete plate or cover the eggs up w/ plastic net. After they've done their part, you then flip the plate against the glass. This way the male can't eat the eggs and is to see if you have a proven pair or not. You might get lucky that when the eggs hatch the male won't eat them. If the eggs turn white b4 hatch, try methyl blue. Take the eggs out of water and drop a few drop of methyl blue over the eggs. Do this as quick as you can. It worked for me. Good luck Crazydiscus.

HTH,
Huy

crazy4discus
01-19-2005, 05:06 AM
thanks huy i will try all you have just told me i just hope the male just learn not to eat the eggs anymore eatting his own future kids!!! im trying to figure out how to resize the pixs once i do it i will post them up...

Carol_Roberts
01-19-2005, 05:44 PM
No need to cover the eggs if the male is not making "runs" over the top of them. Sounds like he is young and eating them instead. The male's tube needs to touch each egg for it to be fertile - fanning the eggs doesn't count ;)

crazy4discus
01-19-2005, 10:12 PM
Carol, he did make runs also it did look like he was eatting the eggs but all the eggs are all still there and there protecting the eggs... so im just waiting for 24 hours to see if any gets dark... dont know what to do now but just wait i guess...

Carol_Roberts
01-20-2005, 12:45 AM
That's your job right now - wait and watch :)

crazy4discus
01-20-2005, 12:59 AM
Carol, thanks thats what i been doing all day since i got out of school but i still got about 3 hours intil the eggs have been layed for 24 hours just cant kill enough time lol...

Carol_Roberts
01-20-2005, 10:28 PM
Did they ever turn dark (get eyes)?

crazy4discus
01-21-2005, 12:42 AM
no eyes Carol.. sucks!!! most eggs turn white some still clear but none are dark i know that's for sure... the male and female fight each other a lot though is that common? is something wrong with my water to make the eggs not hatch or is it the male not being ready? what should i try new this time for there next time they mate again? well i just got to wait for them to lay again and try something new thats all i can do...

goldengatediscus
01-21-2005, 03:14 AM
Patience, David, patience!
I have a pair of gorgeous spotted fish that ate the eggs within a few days. Three times they did this, and the male is fertile. Aargh, dumb fish! Next time, I'm going to cover the eggs!

If your eggs never turned dark, then they weren't fertilized. Maybe the male is still young.
Brigitte

Northwestcoastdisc
01-21-2005, 03:22 AM
Hey crazy4discus !!

Be patience, they will spawn again when they will get mature enough they will have babies!

Good luck

Duncan

crazy4discus
01-21-2005, 03:27 AM
hehehehe thanks Brigitte and duncan i just want some babies of my own...

joyofdiscus
01-21-2005, 03:56 AM
Hey David, don't worry man. Once they're successful, they will breed constantly for you. Pretty soom more tank to buy.

Hank

crazy4discus
01-21-2005, 04:34 AM
thanks hank i still want some of your babies!!! tell me when there ready please those lep i need them!!!