PDA

View Full Version : CARRY ON DISCUS FANTASY FROM TEXAS??

discusdaddy
01-19-2005, 09:32 PM
A discus fantasy coming true too me. My brother is moving to Texas and my son is going has copilot and drive down with him and fly back. You know the discus disease, I start thinking right away how many discus can my son bring back on the plane and who's in Texas. Joy to me discus fantasy :D ...
How big of a carry on and will this and can it be done :confused:
Please share any experience and all knowledge of what would be best????

RyanH
01-19-2005, 09:44 PM
Hello,

I brought some fish home a couple of weeks ago as a carry-on. I know that everyones experiences are different but the TSA people I dealt with were actually really nice about it. I had 14 juveniles in plastic bags in a styrofoam box with heat packs. I just showed them what it was and asked them to not run the bag of fish through the x-ray machine. They did x-ray the box which was fine. The airline (I flew NWA) didn't even blink when I brought the box on board. I had no problems at all other than the inconvenience of carrying a styrofoam box throught the airport.

hth!
Ryan

John_Nicholson
01-20-2005, 10:34 AM
It all depends on who you talk to at the airlines. Some will tell you it is fine and others will say no way. If asked about it br polite but insist that you had already cleared this with somebody. If it was me I would call the airline until I found someone that will say it is ok. Write down their name and nymber. Stick to your guns and you should be fine.

-john

Huy Nguyen
01-20-2005, 02:31 PM
About 10 mths ago I brought 2 beautiful discus from Houston, TX. I stuffed them in my carry on suitecase. They went through x-rays machine and no one said anything. I had to fly back to Washington DC too. Everyone knew that after 911 security in DC airport is highly alert. I then went on the air plane and a stewartess told me that I had to checked in my carry on. I told her I had live fish w/ me and that I can't check in. So she gave a bag to place the fishes into the bag & leave it under the seat, instead of the over head compartment.

Futhermore, about a mth ago my friend took some anglefish to Vegas as carry on. He flew from DC. Everything was x-rayed and again no one said anything. Anyway, I think as long as you fly domestic, no one cares.
Well, good luck and tell us how will it go?

HTH,
Huy

RyanH
01-20-2005, 04:39 PM
My concern with the fish getting x-rayed would be genetic damage or even sterility. I would not let them x-ray the fish if you can help it.

Huy Nguyen
01-20-2005, 07:44 PM
Ah, I c. Good point there Ryan. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. But May be I was lucky or something. One of the fish I brought back was a male and he has been giving me 2 batches of fries. Unfortunately, the other one is a female and she died for no reason. B4 she died she was a big fat healthy one. One day I came back from work. I saw she's floating on the water surface dead. It made me sad for the whole week. Well, now thinking back about her makes me a bit touchy. Anyway, good point, Ryan.

Thank You,
Huy