PDA

View Full Version : Bio Spira usage

agave60
01-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Hello,
I'm returning to Discus keeping after five years of only have reef tanks and I need a little advice on how to use Bio Spira. My plan is to start out with 8 Jack Wattley babies. The tank setup is as follows: 65 gallon AGA, Emperor filter without carbon (using biowheels and Biomax from aquaclear) and two 150 watt Ebo Jaber heaters. Can you guys please critique my setup and tell me how I should use the Bio Spira. The tank has been running for a week without any additives.

Carol_Roberts
01-21-2005, 06:19 PM
I would do a "fishless cycle" with clear ammonia. Add enough ammonia to the tank to read 3-5 ppm on an ammonia test kit. Test ammonia every few days. When goes down add a bit more to keep between 3-5 ppm. It will take 4 or 5 weeks for the filter to cycle. You can read more about fishless cycling in the beginner index

agave60
01-21-2005, 06:49 PM
Carol,
Thanks for the reply. I am planning on doing a fishless cycle but I am also going to be using Bio Spira which in turn should give me a complete cycle in about a week. I would like to hear from anyone that has tried Bio Spira.

etr63
01-21-2005, 07:20 PM
Hi agave60

I have used Bio Spira on my african tanks. set up the tank, get the filters running, buy the size packet of Bio Spria that covers your tank size and just dump the contents of the packet into the tank. Feed the bacteria with ammonia to keep it alive until you get your fish. Make sure that you check for NitrItes and Nitrates to ensure that your tank is cycled before adding discus. HTH

Earl

agave60
01-21-2005, 07:28 PM
Hello Earl,
Let me see if I got this right. I dump the BioSpira in, feed it with ammonia until the nitrites and nitrates are ok and then put my discus in?

Thanks,
Carlos

Anonapersona
01-21-2005, 08:57 PM
On one of the fish boards there is a huge section on product reviews, of the 40 or 80 posts from people who used biospira, IIRC, the only ones who had it not work well were the ones who tried to use ammonia with it.

The best results were when it was used according to the directions.... add BioSpira, then add fish right away. Why bother adding it then toxing up the tank with ammonia? Ammonia inhibits the nitrite reducing bacteria.

Better to simply have a tank full of fresh water, zero ammonia, zero nitrites, add the Biospira, add the fish. It takes a few days to get much ammonia reading anyhow if you feed moderately, and the Biospira will handle it just fine. I've seen posts by people who fully stocked with Oscars, large ones, and said it was perfect, never any ammonia or nitrite regestered. Now, I'll admit to never using it, I'm just passing on what I've read in forums. Take it for what it is worth.

Eddie
01-21-2005, 10:25 PM
I don't know much about bio-spira, but I had a big problem getting my tank cycled. I tried to use the discus to cycle my tank and I used ammo-lock as a water treatment. My tank never seemed to cycle because ammo-lock never allowed my tank to build the bio-filtration. I in turn stopped using ammo-lock and purchased some Seachem Stability and used it as directed and my tank literally was cycled in the time it specified. My discus were happy as could be. :) Just another thought :o

etr63
01-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Hi All

I suggested the addition of amonia as Carlos stated that he wanted to do a fishless cycle and use the Bio Spira to jump start the process. I used Bio Spira just as Anonapersona stated to do with all of my African tanks. I recently started a new African tank with Bio Spira as directed on the package and I had a NitrIte spike. I know that they had stoped makeing it for a while do to problems at the plant and maybe the package I recently bought was a little weak. Maybe I just get a warm fuzzy feeling from the fishless cycle when I can follow the cycle process through testing. I do feel that Bio Spira works but IMO I have to know that the tank is allready cycled before I add Discus. I hope I didnt confuse or mislead any one I guess im still a little neurotic when it come to Discus.

Earl

Discusthing
01-23-2005, 10:29 PM
Has anyone purchased BioSpira lately? If so, where did you get it? I can not seem to locate a source for it.

etr63
01-24-2005, 06:35 PM
Hi Discusthing
I did a search on google and this was the first site listed. They say they have it in stock and ready to ship now. I got mine at my LFS.

HTH
Earl

http://fishstoretn.com/bio_spira.html

agave60
01-24-2005, 08:38 PM
Hello Discusthing,
I just ordered from the site Earl posted, they shipped it out today. I'm still nervous about using this stuff, but I don't feel as much of a guinea pig after reading numerous testimonials on various sites.

Carlos

Anonapersona
01-24-2005, 10:00 PM
I don't know much about bio-spira, but I had a big problem getting my tank cycled. I tried to use the discus to cycle my tank and I used ammo-lock as a water treatment. My tank never seemed to cycle because ammo-lock never allowed my tank to build the bio-filtration. I in turn stopped using ammo-lock and purchased some Seachem Stability and used it as directed and my tank literally was cycled in the time it specified. My discus were happy as could be. :) Just another thought :o

I have read of that with this product before o the goldfish list, "Ammo-lock Hell" was the term that was used there. I think that perhaps it simply works *too* well, and the ammonia is not released fast enough to prevent the bacteria from dying back -- but I'm just guessin', no actual experience on that.

jdellman
01-24-2005, 11:29 PM
Agave60- When I started my tank 1 month ago, I used Biospira. I used it according to the directions, just dumped it in right before adding the fish (4 Discus), and then started on the water changes. 10 days later, I added 3 silver hatchets, 3 tetra and some corycats, and have not had any problems.

I am sure the experts here know better than me, but you wanted to hear from someone who had used it, and I have not any problems.

Good luck.

Discusthing
01-25-2005, 08:39 PM
etr63 - Thanks for the information and website. I ordered some today and I will see what it is like.