PDA

View Full Version : A Discus Nightmare

Howie_W
01-22-2005, 11:02 AM
Well, last night was not the first time I've dreamt of Discus, but never before in such a horrifying way. :sleeping3

The dream began when I decided to buy a large quantity of Discus at a really great price. When I arrived at the drop off location, the fish were packed in a large square, chest-high wooden crate. Inside the crate were hundreds of adult Discus, all individually packed in plastic bags, but on ice!

It gets worse from here; Upon close examination, I began opening some of the bags and discovered all the fish had their tails severed off. :shocked: I immediately called the seller, screaming and yelling, completely horrified at what he had done. "Did you think I ordered these for eating?!" I shouted at him. :flame:

Calmly he explained to me that he had used an ancient practice of removing a special gland from the underside of the Discus that allowed them to go into a state of dormancy. The tail cutting was part of the procedure as well. He instructed me check for a slightly larger plastic bag he had placed into the corner of the crate. Inside the bag I found a number of elonglated tubes he had included to show me what the removed glands looked like. He then described how imparitive it was that I get the fish home quickly and placed into cold water quarantine tanks, slowly bringing up the temp. to revive the fish. Most important was the water had to remain pure at all times to avoid infections until the wounds on the fish were completely healed.

It was at this point that I began freaking out, trying to imagine how I was going to quarantine hundreds of Discus with open wounds and no tails?! :scared:

Shortly thereafter I woke up...and feeling significantly less than rested. :fried:

My dreams are often quite graphic, and this one was no exception. Just thought I'd share with others I knew who could relate...and before the nightmare slips away from my brain! :crazy:

Howie

Barb Newell
01-22-2005, 11:53 AM
Thanks for sharing Howie!!!!
Hope you're not planning on ordering any large # of fish in the near future LOL
Barb

Moon
01-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Did you dream in technicolour. If so what type of discus were they?

jeep
01-22-2005, 04:10 PM
Don't fret Howie, help should be on the way soon :D

Anonapersona
01-22-2005, 07:13 PM
So, what did you have for dinner that evening?

Spices
01-23-2005, 06:58 AM
and what was in that hot cocoa too? :D hee..heee...

It might have been my latest disaster that sparked your nightmare ... just a bad trip. ;)

Howie_W
01-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Thanks for sharing Howie!!!!
Hope you're not planning on ordering any large # of fish in the near future LOL
Barb

Well Barb, I think this will be my Voo Doo preventative for warding against bad luck. :antlers:

This is what I get for wathcing too much SciFi. :alien:

Howie

Howie_W
01-23-2005, 10:04 AM
Did you dream in technicolour. If so what type of discus were they?

In this case, technicolor would not have helped...most of the images I remembered were of the after effects of the evil surgery. :scared:

Howie

Howie_W
01-23-2005, 10:05 AM
Don't fret Howie, help should be on the way soon :D

Does that mean you're sending me fish or a psychiatrist? :crazy:

Howie

Howie_W
01-23-2005, 10:10 AM
So, what did you have for dinner that evening?

I think it might have been the delicious fudge tracks I seem to be addicted to lately. :bounce:

Howie

Howie_W
01-23-2005, 10:12 AM
and what was in that hot cocoa too? :D hee..heee...

It might have been my latest disaster that sparked your nightmare ... just a bad trip. ;)

No....that's going to give me a whole new set of nightmares. :sad:

Howie

Cosmo
01-23-2005, 11:30 PM
WOW Howie... sounds like a mix of Edgar Allen Poe and Kung Fu (the TV show) LOL.... I've had some strange Discus dreams, but jeeez.... surgically removed glands :confused: :D Closest one I've had (which isn't even in contention here.. lol) was when I found myself transported to another planet and there were hostile aliens in spaceships that looked like Discus hovering over the playground (???) I was transported to LOL ..... but surgically removed glands and hundreds of fish with open wounds... kinda sick don't ya think ??? LOL

Thanks for sharing though.... errr, I think :D

Jim

JimmyL
01-24-2005, 09:18 AM
You must have seen the picutres of the fish brought up by the Tsunami from the bottom of the ocean or has been watching too many "discus" make over show on TV. I have red the Revelation twice after the Tsunami. The Angels are not ready to blow the last 3 horns yet. It won't hapen in our life time. Don't worry, we are not even close to the end of the world.

Don't be scare when I show you the tailless discus which was born naturally without surgery. I'll wait till you totally forget this nightmare before showing you. It's a beautiful fish from my Cloud Leopard pair.
Jimmy

Howie_W
01-24-2005, 10:09 AM
WOW Howie... sounds like a mix of Edgar Allen Poe and Kung Fu (the TV show) LOL.... I've had some strange Discus dreams, but jeeez.... surgically removed glands :confused: :D Closest one I've had (which isn't even in contention here.. lol) was when I found myself transported to another planet and there were hostile aliens in spaceships that looked like Discus hovering over the playground (???) I was transported to LOL ..... but surgically removed glands and hundreds of fish with open wounds... kinda sick don't ya think ??? LOL

Thanks for sharing though.... errr, I think :D

Jim

And who say Discus people are nuts?! :lipsrseal

See Jim, I always knew you were from another star system! :alien:

Howie

Howie_W
01-24-2005, 10:14 AM
You must have seen the picutres of the fish brought up by the Tsunami from the bottom of the ocean or has been watching too many "discus" make over show on TV. I have red the Revelation twice after the Tsunami. The Angels are not ready to blow the last 3 horns yet. It won't hapen in our life time. Don't worry, we are not even close to the end of the world.

Don't be scare when I show you the tailless discus which was born naturally without surgery. I'll wait till you totally forget this nightmare before showing you. It's a beautiful fish from my Cloud Leopard pair.
Jimmy

Jimmy,

I did infact see those pictures!

I know what you mean regarding deformities...I've seen some real doozies on Discus before...funny thing is that some of those types of fish end-up being perfectly healthy, regardless of their bizarre appearances.

Speaking of your fish...one of these days I going to get around to asking for a couple of those spotty Leopards! :)

Regards

Howie

JimmyL
01-24-2005, 10:28 AM
How about the tailless Could Leopard? That one is not for sale. I'll breed that one just for you and send you a box of tailless Cloud Leopards and make your dream come true. Hahaha!!!
Jimmy

JimmyL
01-29-2005, 08:04 AM
Howie: This one is for you. One of the kind. No tail cutting, all natural. I'll send you a box of his first brood just to make your dream come true. Hahaha!
Jimmy

JimmyL
01-29-2005, 08:06 AM
Another one. The removed tail gland is coming in another box. Scarrryyyy...

Howie_W
01-29-2005, 10:04 AM
Thanks Jimmy...but no thanks. :(

Just when I've been enjoying such restful sleep lately too! :mad:

I''m surprised the fish wasn't culled right off the bat. And don't forget ...I like my LSS cloud free... ;)

Howie

Spices
01-30-2005, 01:59 AM
Wait.... stop a minute. You mean there are discus out there with no tails :confused: :alien: :alien: :alien: JimmyL, did you hide the tail in a graphic program? I've never seen a fish with no tail. LOL

:alien: -ated discus is a discus with no tail-fin. LOL

*Angie*

Neil1_2
01-30-2005, 04:23 PM
that was a wierd dream buddy... good that i dont remember my nightmares... and Jimmy.. I AM AWED!!

KIWI13
02-01-2005, 07:34 AM
Well I must admit that was one hell of a dream and thansk for sharing cause it must be contagious. Last night i dreamt i visited my LFS and he had lil cobalt blue and white discus in a lantern hanging up in the entry way. It would have been a lantern with a volume of around 10 gallons roughly and it was shaped like a hexagon and in there were a hundreds of little discus of around 1cm each swimming around. I was rahter amused in the morning cause I am gettin all ready to set up my new discus tank and mybe that was me makin a choice of what type of discus to keep. Anyway its all crazy and thougth i'd add to the craziness by sharing my silly story.