PDA

View Full Version : Black Background?

agave60
01-23-2005, 08:08 AM
Hello again,
Thanks for the replies on my BioSpira question. After reading some other posts on peppering I would like to know if a black background will cause young discus any greater stress than a light blue background? My background and bottom are both black.

Thanks,
Carlos

Howie_W
01-23-2005, 09:55 AM
Hi Carlos,

Yes, dark backgrounds will often show more pronounced peppering in some pigeons. Light colored bagrounds will help reduce this effect. Also, if you use lighter colors on the bottom and sides of your tank, this combined with your lighting will provide better enhancement for viewing colors and skin tones.

Howie

bio new
01-23-2005, 10:09 AM
HI,

I totally agree with Howie.

Just wanna add another point, light coloured background and bottom helped as reflector especially when u used available light during a foto session of ur discus.

CHEERS!

agave60
01-23-2005, 10:30 AM
Thanks guys. I really love the black background, but I will change it in order to have happy discus. Good thing I hadn't started the cycle yet.

Carlos

nacra99
01-24-2005, 12:54 AM
Actually... I do agree that peppering is more pronounced with darker backgrounds. I agree with both Howie and BioNew that better lighting will enhance the appearence of the fish. BUT... i don't think that the fish are necessarily stressed by darker living conditions (or backgrounds). Here's My theory....

It is well known generally darken (or pepper) when they are sick, stressed or breeding. If you really think about it, in the wild, these are the times when the fish are most vulnerable to predation by predators. And It is also known that discus love to take refuge under some sort of cover in vulnerable situations (darker places: under a heater, behind driftwood or under some brush in the wild). My theory is that darkening or peppering is simply an evolutionary camoflage mechanism. When they are "hiding" somewhere dark, like a chameleon, the darker body color will help them blend in with the surrounding cover. That is why sometimes young discus (especially when they haven't developed color yet) might look slightly darker in the morning after a whole night of darkness.

But then again, this is my theory... I'm currently conducting an experiment with 2- 30gal tanks of PB. One has a blue background and the other has a rather dark "nautral tropical plant" background. Other parameters are kept the same. The darker background tank does show slightly more peppered PB's. But they seem very happy. In fact, they seem to me more agressive at getting food at mealtimes than the light colored background PB's. Next month i'll be swapping tanks and see if the peppering swaps as well.....

THere has not been anything that suggests that discus with heavier peppering due to different backgrounds are any more stressed than discus in lighter colored bkg tanks.

But then again... this is my conclusion from my observations.

hth
Cheers
Marc

ShinShin
01-24-2005, 11:53 AM
I agree, too, that black backgrounds will not cause undue stress on discus. I bought 6 used 20H's for breeder tanks years ago. Thay were painted black. I never experienced any problems because of them. Fry had no problems finding the parents.

I agree, too, that lighter backgrounds are more pleasing to the eye, but provide no more comfort than a dark one.

Cosmo
01-24-2005, 08:52 PM
I have two large acrylic tanks, both with black backgrounds ( non - removable type.. lol) I have a PB in one tank that peppered up somewhat and I have others that haven't... Also have several light colored Discus w/ no peppering at all either.. although general wisdom says that black backgrounds cause stress, I don't see evidence of that in my tanks. Also, I happen to think the black background shows off the colors of the fish quite nicely :D Isn't the best for taking pics it's true... lol

Jim

Carol_Roberts
01-25-2005, 01:22 AM
I think they turn dark to match the background too

SHAWN WARDLE
01-25-2005, 11:51 AM
I ALSO HAVE A BLACK BACKGROUND. WHEN MY FISH ARE ACTIVE FEEDING ,AND OUT SWIMMING AROUND THERE COLORS ARE BRIGHT AND VERY VIBRANT, BUT WHEN LESS ACTIVE(RESTING) THEY WILL GO TO THE BACK OF TANK AND DARKEN UP TO MATCH THERE SURROUNDING. I HAVE PIGEONS AND YES YOU CAN SEE PEPPERING MORE THAN ON MY OTHER TANKS WITH LIGHT BLUE BACKGROUND. BUT WITH WHITE BUTTERFLIES,SNOW WHITE, RED MELONS, OCEAN GREEN, AND BLUE DIAMONDS LIGHTER BASE THE ARE BEAUTIFUL IN THE TANK. IMO

walk23
01-25-2005, 04:46 PM
I read this article a coupla days ago. I have two PB, both with varying pepering in my planted 75 g. I moved one at a time to a 29 g that is painted a light blue on the bottom and back walls. Within a coupla days each of the fish lost its peppering. I am new but found this interesting.
Kevin