PDA

View Full Version : vinyl

Eddie
01-25-2005, 09:38 PM
I don't think anybody has ever tried this, but I painted a new tank white. the corners or borders are black because I couldn't paint down into the casing or framing. I thought of siliconing white vinyl strips inside the tank over the black to have the tank pure white. It looks pretty ruff without something covering it. Will the vinyl endure, :confused: siliconed in the tank? Just a thought

Cosmo
01-26-2005, 12:31 AM
they gonna get little fishy straight jackets too ?? :D Interesting idea, but don't you think the all white format may stress the fish out some since it will make the tank seem so much brighter?? Like the vinyl idea though.. keep us posted if you try it

Jim

Eddie
01-26-2005, 01:08 AM
naw, I don't think the fish will be stressed due to the white. Others use light tints and the fish seem fine. I think overall, stress comes from poor water quality. They have prestine water quality. I painted the sides as well to make them feel secure. We'll see though. I'm gonna try the vinyl strips and I hope it works out.

Jeff_NZ
01-26-2005, 04:14 AM
Any pics of the white tank at all?

Id like to get an idea of what it would look like, thanks

mench
01-26-2005, 08:56 AM
I have used vinyl for yrs with no problem at all..On some of my tanks I used it on the back and sides and others inside the tank...I go to a sign shop and get the vinly that they use to make signs,it is kind of sticky on one side,ya just keep it wet till ya get it in place then use a paper towel to get it flat and dry the water...

Mench

Howie_W
01-27-2005, 11:06 AM
I've also been using 3M vinyl on the outside of my tanks for many years...completely waterproof and will last forever (or close to it).

It's a great alternative to painting as it comes in every color imaginable. If you have access to a digital print shop you can also create your own custom background and have it printed on vinyl. The nice thing about this is if you get bored of a background you can always change it.

Howie

Cosmo
01-27-2005, 12:47 PM
you know, I think my problem was I was thinking of soft vynl, as is fake leather car seats :o Hence, my padded room / fishy straight jacket analogy... Kind of like the idea of using hard vynl as a background though :)
Jim

Rod
01-27-2005, 03:20 PM
Heres a white painted tank. I quite like the effect and the fish don't seem put out by it.

Rod

Wahter
01-27-2005, 06:17 PM
If you set the tank on a styrofoam sheet, the bottom looks white to the fish too. :)

BGTW
01-28-2005, 10:08 AM
Nice fish, what strain are those???

tlum
01-28-2005, 01:47 PM
Albino MR????

TerryL