PDA

View Full Version : Questions about new Discus

Lazonby
01-25-2005, 11:28 PM
I picked up 6 discus (3") today at the LFS. While they aren't the finest of quality, they are the best I've seen there in quite some time. They've been at the LFS for a few weeks and still doing well, so I figured I would take my chances. There were 9 crammed in a small tank, probably no larger than 10g. This is the dumbest thing I've seen LFS's do, with guppies residing in larger tanks...but anyway...There were no signs of any major disease...no labored breathing, no slimy patches, no signs of major stress, etc, and the employee (I know him well enough that he wouldn't lie, because I'm buddies with the owner) said they eat well. I got them home and placed them into my 75g, a tank I just re-did (tank swap) on Sunday.

Cycling was not necessary, as I used my Eheim 2028 that's been in constant operation for over 3 years. My other fish (Cardinal tetras, Krib pair, A. Agassizzi juvi) are pretty happy about it, and my oto's are going nuts over the fresh, clean water! There are no threats to the discus or fighting otherwise in this tank (violators will be prosecuted :) ). About the discus, they are still acclimating (my water is same as LFS), with the ph lowered slightly (.2) from the pressurized CO2 for the plants. I'll be lowering it very gradually over the next couple of weeks to find the optimum level for plants & fish, probably from 7.8 for tap to 7.2 or 7.0. Temps at the moment are 80F.

The discus are in the corners, but appear to be gradually moving around a bit. I fed the other fish a little bit ago, and the discus were hesitant, but curious. This I expected. I'll try with better food tommorrow. Some of the things I've noticed about the discus now that I've got them home are that they need nourishment (eg, a proper diet), a couple have some slight cloudiness in their eyes, there's a little bit of labored breathing in all, and some slight signs of HITH, but it could be pores. Coloration isn't too bad, & better than I expected--no stress bars or unusual darkness. Except for the cloudy eyes, this is about how all of the fish are that come from the LFS. Usually with good food and clean water, they improve greatly over the next week. I'll be doing a big water change tomorrow morning.

My question is do you think there is anything that I've mentioned that might be of major concern? Or should I just do water changes religiously and see how it goes? I'm kind of concerned about the cloudy eyes, and the heavy breathing (CO2 is being shut off for a while). I'm hoping they will be breathing a little better after the water change tomorrow. I've got half of the lighting shut off while they acclimate (130 from 260 PC). Think I should raise the temps? One more thing: They appear to be slightly stunted, but maybe this could be an age thing, as their eyeballs are a bit larger than I think they should be, but not too pronounced. My Green Terror was the same way when I got him (2"), but now that he's an adult, his eyes are normal (he gets lots of food), and of course, he's in another tank. Thanks for your help!

Eddie
01-25-2005, 11:36 PM
Hello,
I figured I throw my 2 cents in since thats all I've got. I just purchased some fish about 2 weeks ago and I was in your shoes. I thought this and that and I was just so overly paranoid. I just did 50% WC daily with aged water and now my new discus are better off than my old discus or about the same. One thing I would do is raise the temp in the tank to about 88 or so and see if the fish work up an appetite. Just some info. post some pics if possible :)

Sorry I can't help with the cloudy eye thing. Have yet to experience that :o

Howie_W
01-25-2005, 11:53 PM
My question is do you think there is anything that I've mentioned that might be of major concern? Or should I just do water changes religiously and see how it goes? I'm kind of concerned about the cloudy eyes, and the heavy breathing (CO2 is being shut off for a while). I'm hoping they will be breathing a little better after the water change tomorrow. I've got half of the lighting shut off while they acclimate (130 from 260 PC). Think I should raise the temps? One more thing: They appear to be slightly stunted, but maybe this could be an age thing, as their eyeballs are a bit larger than I think they should be, but not too pronounced. My Green Terror was the same way when I got him (2"), but now that he's an adult, his eyes are normal (he gets lots of food), and of course, he's in another tank. Thanks for your help!

My first concern would be that you brought home new fish and placed them in a community tank without proper quarantine (aprox. 4 -6 weeks is recommended).

The fact that their eyes are cloudy is a clear indication they were being housed in poor water conditions.

The best thing for them would be to place them in their own bare bottom tank where daily water changes and multiple feedings can be provided. In your planted set-up you'll need to do the best you can to keep the tank as clean as possible while making sure all of the Discus are eating well throughout the day. From your description, it sounds like the fish are behind in their growth as a result of improper care.

When bringing new juveniles home, I usually salt the tank (1-2 tablespoons per 10 gallons), and raise the temp. to aprox. 88F to raise their appetites. After several days you can drop the temp. back down to 86F.

HTH

Howie

mench
01-26-2005, 09:05 AM
Good advice from howie..I would follow his instructions..first thing is get them into a bare bottom tank...So much easier to keep clean. Lfs are learning about keeping discus but not fast enough....Good luck

Mench

Lazonby
01-26-2005, 01:09 PM
Thanks for your advice! I just did a 50% water change and I'm slowly raising the temps. Four of the six discus ate this morning (and ate well!).

One more question: I've noticed some very minor tail/fin rot and what appears to be the beginnings of fungus (a couple white threads). Will the water changes and heat be enough that this might go away on it's own or should I treat it with medication/salt? I've never had a fungal outbreak in my tanks, ever. I have some Seachem's Sulfathiazole handy.

So far, I think all is going well. Thanks again! :)

Howie_W
01-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Thanks for your advice! I just did a 50% water change and I'm slowly raising the temps. Four of the six discus ate this morning (and ate well!).

One more question: I've noticed some very minor tail/fin rot and what appears to be the beginnings of fungus (a couple white threads). Will the water changes and heat be enough that this might go away on it's own or should I treat it with medication/salt? I've never had a fungal outbreak in my tanks, ever. I have some Seachem's Sulfathiazole handy.

So far, I think all is going well. Thanks again! :)

Again, you are seeing the results of less than ideal water conditions. Medicating is not necessary...it often does more harm than good. Glad to hear the fish are eating...hopefully all will regain their appetites soon.

In the meantime, keep up on your water changes, and make sure the glass and all equipment stay clean, and of course keep the substrate clean.

Howie

Lazonby
01-28-2005, 01:17 PM
So far all are doing well! Their fins are healing nicely and their colors are really starting to show (Blue Diamonds)! They're really getting aggressive during feeding time! There's a lot of bumping & pecking going on, as I assume they are developing a pecking order.

I'm heading back down to the LFS today and was wondering if:

Is six enough for the 75g? I don't want to overstock, but I don't want to understock either. Here's a list of the tankmates again: 18 cardinals, pair of kribs (mated), 1 A. Agassizzi juvi male, 12 otos, 4 mollies, 3 SAE's.

Can I keep amano or cherry shrimp with discus? I'd really like to pick up about 20 or so, but they are too expensive for food! If they might get eaten, would ghost shrimp be a viable alternative for "micro cleaners?"

RyanH
01-28-2005, 02:17 PM
I haven't kept small shrimp with Discus before but I would be very hesitant to try it. My Discus eat mysis and Brine shrimp pretty agressively, I don't think they would see a huge difference between those species and the ornamental ones.

If you are looking for some good bottom feeders I would look into getting a group of 6-8 corydoras.

hth!
-Ryan

Carol_Roberts
01-28-2005, 05:27 PM
I would not add anymore fish - discus or otherwise - without quarantine. You are playing Russian Roulett each time you add fish to the tank. The fish store gets new shipments from various places every week. some are healthy - some are not . . . .

Howie_W
01-29-2005, 10:10 AM
You should not be adding anymore fish. As mentioned previously...quarantine should always be oberserved.

Howie