PDA

View Full Version : Siphoning sand?

Rob Blanks
01-26-2005, 03:18 AM
I'm working on converting to a planted and was considering using sand as a substrate. But, how do I clean the crap off the bottom? Won't the siphon suck the sand up as well? I've never tried sand before, but I'm sure some of y'all have marine or african tanks with sand bottoms, how do you guys deal with waste removal?

Dave C
01-26-2005, 09:20 AM
Use a smaller diameter pipe for a siphon. I use 1/2" PVC with a hose attached. Then you just hover the pipe over the sand rather then sinking it into the sand. All of the crap will sit on top of the sand unlike gravel so you can easily remove it all. Sand is much easier to keep clean then gravel. I use silica sand from Home Depot. A 50lb bag costs about $5.

Rob Blanks
01-28-2005, 04:38 AM
Thanks Dave, that's good info. Is the Home Depot sand fairly white? Or more of standard beach yellowish?

nacra99
01-28-2005, 01:02 PM
IMO, home depot sand is a little to fine for me. Any powerful strokes by the fish and it kicks up the sand everywhere. But yeah... I've only seen playground sand at home depot, and it looks pale yellow - whitish.

CHeers
Marc

spsboy
01-28-2005, 03:27 PM
Having had saltwater reef tanks for many years now, i would say I'm fairly well experienced with sand and cleaning it.
The best way I've found it to get a python syphon tube, as well as the valve that comes with it. You want to cut a peice of the tubing about 2 ft down, and attach the valve to one end, syphon tube to the other. This way way you can siphon the sand with the tube, and adjust the flow, so that you only pick up muck, and not sand.
However, you have to get a heavier sand than the traditional homedepot sand. Some home depots carry a type of sand called South Down Play Sand, and it is perfect for what you are trying to do.
Hope this helps, and email me if you have any more questions, or if theres anything else i can do
drew

heavyp83
01-28-2005, 04:40 PM
Also if you just angle the gravel vac at 45 degrees instead of straight up and down, it will not suck up the sand and you can push the vac all the way into your substrate this way.

blaze
01-30-2005, 12:25 AM
"Also if you just angle the gravel vac at 45 degrees instead of straight up and down, it will not suck up the sand and you can push the vac all the way into your substrate this way."

tnx,,, good info

racingjason
02-21-2005, 06:36 PM
I've used sand several times and I found a technique that works great for me. I have a drain right behind my tank (with tile floors) so I put a bucket next to the drain and place a shim (small rocks etc) under the side opposite the drain. I then put the end of the hose in the bucket and a large rock or driftwood piece on the hose end to keep it down. I use a large diameter siphon set, the large tube lets the water flow slower IMO. I lightly clean my sand every day and deep clean it once a week, during deep cleaning some sand is sucked up (1-2 cups) which never makes it out of the bucket. You do have to rinse the sand in the bucket really well though because most fish poop will stay in the bucket too. Hope that helps.

lado
03-01-2005, 02:01 AM
WHAT SIZE GRAIN THAT SAND WOULD BE.ARE WE TALKING GRAIN LIKE SALT OR MORE COARSE

stygian7
03-18-2005, 03:13 AM
discus will create as they blow into the sand to float food up off of the substrate to eat. Beware though, this is only okay with a foam filter or overflow at the top; otherwise you'll trash the impeller on your powerfilter. The superfine sand can lead to anaerobic conditions if too thick and poorly maintained.
-Kevin