PDA

View Full Version : Should I QT mutilple group of fishes?

fish_maniac
01-28-2005, 01:54 PM
Hi,
I am waiting for a shipment of DB. I also found some wild red and orange discus in a LFS. I would like to try some wild one. I am thinking to get some wild one when I QT the BD and put them in the same tank. Any comment or suggestion? Is it a bad idea? I read that different groups may carry different dieases and parasties. Will this compound the problem? Please let me know what you think if you have try this before. Thanks you for your help.

Kam

jeep
01-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Not a good idea Kam.

If at all possible, QT individual shipments separate from others. If you really want both sources of fish, then at least QT in a separate tank. If you do choose to buy from both sources, a please make sure your QT facilities are in a different room than your existing stock!

Always expect the worst and be prepared. Never let your guard down :)

Jeff
01-28-2005, 02:06 PM
LOL. It can be done. If you do you may want to start treating for external bacteria before the fish are even put in the tank. Add 5-6 ml of 35% hydrogen peroxide per 75 gallons just before putting the discus in the tank. Keep adding it once in the morning and once in the evening for 4 days.

It would be a good experiance if you don't mind risking it all. If you see them starting to get sick the battle is over. You will lose them.

ShinShin
01-28-2005, 02:15 PM
I wouldn't QT shipments from 2 different sources. I especially would not QT domestics with wilds. The domestics are more likely to pass on a problem, if one exists, to the wilds, in spite of many believing the reverse would be true.

fish_maniac
01-28-2005, 11:30 PM
Hi,
Thank you guys for your fast reply! You are so knid and didn't tell me it is a bad idea and just told me "it is not a good idea":) . I was planning to keep a QT tank with one of my pair in the same room. I will move the pair back to the community tank since they are kind of young anyway. I don't want to risk the BD for the wild as this time. I know the best wild will be from Al. I just want to cut the corner and save some shipping cost since I only want a few of them. I guess I just have to get some wild one from Al when I am ready.
I have one more questions. If I get a discus from a friend in a local area. Do I need to QT them also even though there is no shipping? Thanks again.

Kam

Carol_Roberts
01-29-2005, 12:27 AM
Yes. Any new fish from any source - shipped or not- should be quarantined prior to adding to your existing stock. Also remember to add one of your (healthy) culls to the quarantined fish to see if the cull remains healthy

fish_maniac
01-29-2005, 02:09 AM
Carol,
Thanks. Yes, I will do that. I was going to move the pair back to the community tank but they laid some eggs on the glass tonight:) . They are still young but this is their 3rd time. I guess I will have to leave them in the same room as the new fishes. I will get a new set of tube and bucket for the new fishes. Any other thing I should watch out since both tanks will be in the same room?
Thanks

Kam

Carol_Roberts
01-29-2005, 08:58 PM
Wash your hands between tanks :)

fish_maniac
01-30-2005, 12:17 AM
Carol,
Thank you for the information. I will wash my hand between tanks. I am going to share the clean water storage and bucket. I think it should be OK, right?
Thanks again.

Kam

Carol_Roberts
01-30-2005, 03:06 PM
Don't use the same hose head in both tanks and don't let any water back siphon into hose . . . .

fish_maniac
02-01-2005, 01:45 AM
Carol,
I will get a separate set of equipment so that there is less chance of problem. I also moved the pair back to the community tank so the new fish will be in a tank in a room by themself. Thanks again.

Kam