PDA

View Full Version : NEED TREATMENT

Giniel
01-30-2005, 03:26 AM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started
white feces , slightly dark ,about 4 days ago,

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)
white stringy feces almost clear at times , dark and staying in back of tank , not sure if it eats or not . it won't let me watch..

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.
parasite clear fizz tablets, 2 days with 50% water change in between treatments.added salt and raised temp to 88

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
75 gallon been running almost 1 yr.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
25% to 50% daily to every other day , running 1 yr barebottom, use straight tapwith chlorine remover

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _88__

- ph _6.9-7.0

- ammonia reading _0__

- nitrite reading 0___

- nitrate reading ?___

- well water _no_

- municipal water __yes

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
nothing new,but these fish haven't been dewormed since i recieved them in JUne ..

What I would like to know is what should I deworm them with? METRO or PRAZI or both.. I have a few that refuse to grow . eat fine healthy normal size eyes , just won't grow. The one with the problem is about 5" and use to eat like a pig.Can someone please tell me whom to buy the right meds from also.
Thanks in advance
Debbie

Robin764
01-30-2005, 06:40 AM
Have you tried parasite clear? It has both metro and prazi in it. I've used it twice about 7 months apart when I suspected one that had arrived in between treatments to have worms.
Both times I've seem worms...2nd time only one....
Just be sure to use an airstone during treatment. I've used this with pleco's in the tank with no problems.

Robin

ShinShin
01-30-2005, 12:40 PM
Sounds like you have a whole lot of problems going happening.
Primary infections:

Intestinal flagellates
intestinal nematodes
flukes

Secondary bacterial and/or fungal infections have also set in on these discus.

How many fish do you have? That would determine which method of treatment I would choose. Definately, prazi and metro are in order.

Giniel
01-30-2005, 01:14 PM
Thank you for the replies. Yes robin I have used parasite clear with no avail.
Can I dose the prazi and metro together?? All together I have 25 discus in 4 tanks . Where is the best place to get metro and prazi because our local fish stores do not carry them.
Thankyou
Debbie

Barb Newell
01-30-2005, 02:10 PM
Hi Debbie. I'm in Canada so am not sure of the best place to get metro or prazi. I know that JEHMCO carries them. You may want to order some Kanamycin to have it on hand just in case you need an antibiotic for internal bacterial infection.

http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/WATER_TREATMENTS_ETC_/Medications/medications.html

You should order some metro and prazi, in the meantime slowly raise your tank temp up to 92 or 93 degrees, increase water changes to 50% daily. When you get the meds start the metro treatment first. The dosage of metro in the Parasite Clear may not have been enough to effectively treat for hex.

Copied from Carol's Common Treatments:
Intestinal Flagellates:
Symptoms: Your discus may quit eating or spit out it's food. White, stringy, muscus-like feces will hang like a thread from the anus. He may be dark in color and stay in the back of the tank away from the other discus.
Treat with Metronidazole sold in pet stores as Hex-A-Mit or Metrozol. Can be purchased online from several sources. 400 - 500 mg per 10 gallons of water. Tank temperature 92 degrees +. Dose each day after a 50% water change for 3 to 5 days. Use 92 degree water for water changes. Feed sparingly of favorite foods. Keep water temperature elevated for a week after treatment ends. It may take a week or so for the discus to regain it's appetite. In severe cases of long standing you may need to dose every 8 hours for three days. May dose all fish in tank or remove affected fish to hospital tank. Should not hurt your biofilter.

Flukes; do your fish have clamped gills or are they rubbing/ flashing off of objects? You can always treat for flukes if they have them after the metro treatment.

Barb

Barb

kaceyo
01-30-2005, 03:06 PM
I agree with Barb in that Parasite Clear doesn't have enough metro to cure Hex, which your fish show clasic symptoms of. Use the pure metro as in Carols method and be aware that the dosage suggested by Carol is higher than what is stated on the box of metro. I had to retreat my fish when they had Hex because the recommended dose on the box wasn't high enough, and they relapsed.
Good luck,
Kacey

Carol_Roberts
01-30-2005, 03:10 PM
You may have to dose 400 - 500 mg 2 or 3 times each day for a period of 3 - 5 days (or more) Remember to keep heat up for a week after treatment ends. Your change water will need to be close to 92 degrees too.

Giniel
01-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Thank you all,
Do i need to seperate the fish or treat the whole 75 gallon tank , I feel safer not moving the fish if that makes sense. They all still come to the front when they see me. Another tank is where the non growing ones are and some are big and there are about 3 that refuse to grow, i'll try to get some pictures in a day or two. I have had to work alot of hours the last few days so no time for pictures. I'll order some meds now and raise temp in meantime.
Thanks again

Debbie

Robin764
01-30-2005, 04:29 PM
Metro should be easier to get now...it seems a new company is offering it. I even found it locally here for the first time recently. Aquatrol, Inc. is the company that stocked up the LFS's here. I asked the store owner why he didn't have it before, he stated previous company (Hexamit) I think, went out of business. Now Aquatrol carries it. I have seen it in all three of my local haunts now. Good luck with the fishies.

Robin

Robin764
01-30-2005, 04:30 PM
srry meant to post this above

ShinShin
01-30-2005, 05:17 PM
Well, 25 discus and 4 tanks is too many for the "Maria Cruz" triple dip before returning to a medicated tank containing prazi and metro.

You just waste money buying products like you mentioned. Stick with the prazi and metro you can buy online.

Carol_Roberts
01-30-2005, 07:08 PM
Ginell:
You can treat the whole 75 with metro.

Mat:
Parasite clear works really good for external parasites. It knocks back the skittery tank mites too.

Giniel
01-31-2005, 09:28 PM
Hi ,
thank you all for the replies . I ended up getting prazi pro instead of prazi.. Is it the same thing and how do you dose it??
I also got metro .Do I dose with metro 1st then prazi or can I do both at the same time.. Trying not to kill my fish with too much meds.
Debbie
ps. meds are in the mail, so it will be a few days.

Northwestcoastdisc
01-31-2005, 10:20 PM
I hope your fish will get better soon when you will treatment them, rememeber keep ph low.

good luck

Duncan

ShinShin
01-31-2005, 11:58 PM
Carol,

I just never cared for the results I had with it. Sort of like you and melafix. lol

Mat

Giniel
02-01-2005, 01:44 AM
Hi ,
Here is the pic I promised: Doesn't look very sick but still has white feces..

Giniel
02-01-2005, 01:49 AM
here's another of it:

Carol_Roberts
02-01-2005, 02:18 AM
I've never used prazi pro. To be safe dose metro by itself with high temperatures first.