View Full Version : Java Fern

Chrisb
01-30-2005, 02:54 PM
hello
Does anybody have a trick to attach Java Fern to driftwood? I have tried string but it has been over a five weeks and there still not attached.
Chris

Condor
01-31-2005, 10:57 AM
Fishing line works pretty good. I just leave it in because you cant really see it. When the plants reproduce, I just seperate them and keep on tucking them under the fishing line. This way I can spread out or thicken up the ferns on the drift wood. I have also heard of people using thumb tacks which can be taken out after the plants attach. My driftwood is to hard for this to work. Staples can be used, though they will get rusty. Hope this helps

Adrian

kjmillerfw
01-31-2005, 12:44 PM
I just received a few java ferns and anubia's and I was wondering approximately how long does it take for them to adhere to driftwood on their own. I attached mine with brown thread but I'm not sure how well that's going to hold.

Kathy

tpl*co
01-31-2005, 12:58 PM
I've been using rubber bands, but they break down after a while. cut up nylons seem to soften and stretch when wet and don't hold well. I have to try the fishing line one.

ed8t
01-31-2005, 01:25 PM
I've used fishing line 4 lb. test is good but tough to work with and black cotton thread both works well. I tie it and just forget about it until I see good growth from the fern. By then it should be securely attached, my guestimate about 2 months. I've done this to driftwood, terra cotta, flat smooth stones and even fake plastic resin type driftwood.

peteypob
01-31-2005, 01:30 PM
Depending on the amount of water fertz you add and any co2 it could be a couple of months.
Pete

Chrisb
01-31-2005, 06:55 PM
Thanks everyone :) I try fishing line next time.
thanks
Chris