PDA

View Full Version : Green water

steve s
01-30-2005, 03:41 PM
I have a ten gal sick tank set up, but have not had to use it for over a year.
The tank is bb with three plants, a cory cat,two guppies and lots of small snails. It has an aqua 150,a heater, light, air stone.
I have a bad case of green water and would like to get rid of the snails.
I have been doing 25-50% water changes every other day and have left the light off for two weeks. The water is still green and cloudy.
Any ideas to help??

Thanks.
Steve

Jeff_NZ
01-30-2005, 05:53 PM
Have you checked your nitrate and phosphates?

Is the tank situated in a sunny spot where it gets direct sunlight?

walk23
01-30-2005, 06:10 PM
Remove your filter and clean it. Wipe down your glass and do 50 % w/c. Also clean the heater surface and anything else in the tank. Try limiting the lighting. I suspect you may have overfed. An algae eater, otto or a chinese algae eater would certainly help. ;)

steve s
01-31-2005, 02:08 AM
Jeff,
After water changes nitrates and phosphates readings are very low.
sunlight hits tank about 1-2 hours a day, but has never cased a problem in the past.
I have been over feeding some becase of guppy babies now gone, I will cut
back on food and do a complete wipe down of tank and filter.

Thanks,

Steve

Cosmo
01-31-2005, 10:25 AM
Steve,

If you have another container.. rubbermaid will do, try wiping down everything as suggested then doing a 100% water change with the fish out of the tank.. a 50% change will still leave enough algea spores to start the process all over again unless you can remove all the nitrates and phosphates that feed them. You may have an imbalance in the tank chemistry as well between the fish and the plant that is contributing to the condiditon.

Jim

Northwestcoastdisc
01-31-2005, 06:29 PM
Do w/c at 50% every day and add 1 TBS course salt per 10 Gallon

HTH

Duncan

ozone
02-01-2005, 08:27 AM
Hi there , I have green water in one of my tanks aswell . the 50 % water changes have helped but still have no gotten rid of it, it certainly clears the water a little but that's about all. I don't like adding salt to my aqaurium as I used it once and it stressed my fish so I haven't used it again. I'm off to the lfs tommorow if I come up with something that kills it I'll let you know. The 100 percent water change may b the only cure for this.