PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Metro Detroit, MI breeders

markh
01-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Just getting into discus here in Warren, MI and wondering what breeders are local to me.

Dkarc@Aol.com
01-30-2005, 08:03 PM
Cary at Great Lakes Discus is in Madison Heights....though he wont have anything available till spring sometime...here's his website- www.greatlakesdiscus.com (http://www.greatlakesdiscus.com)

-Ryan

Wahter
02-02-2005, 04:43 PM
Cary's "Da Man" - contact him and once he has stock to sell, go over and pick some fish from him. :)

markh
02-02-2005, 07:39 PM
I know Cary. I have 10 smaller ones and 2 pairs from him. You're right he is great to deal with.

madcowl
02-10-2005, 03:41 AM
i'm new to discus and in west michigan . that is a bummer that cary is closed since i was planning on buying some fish friday . i didn't hear back from him on my email and hoped to get there for sure .i cant wait till spring so i may have to send for some from a breeder on the web ? i was trying to go in person so i can pick out what i'm buying rather than someone sending me what THEY want to send me . i was trying to avoid getting something off ebay and am worried about maybe not getting a square deal or the real quality fish i see in the pics on the web pages .

anyone know how to get in contact with discus by design ? i tried emails but none retrurned and their phone is disconnected too . they have incredible fish on their web page and i hope they are available and the breeders honest ?

anyone reccommend any breeders not too far from grand rapids michigan ? superior ? any others ?

markh , when you find someone nearby let me know , i'm looking for more discus too . ted evans

Howie_W
02-10-2005, 10:58 AM
If you want to get in touch with Cary than give him a call on his cell phone:

586-322-3891

He's been having some email issues, but in general prefers to hear from people over the phone. I wouldn't hesitate to call him...even if he doesn't currently have what you are looking for he may have some suggestions. Please send him my regards. :)

Howie

RAWesolowski
02-10-2005, 10:38 PM
Ted,

There are a couple of smaller breeders in Western Michigan. One is Steve Vernon at MVPets in Kalamazoo. He may have some stock for you. Another is a private individual in Muskegon. If you like I can contact him to see if he has any fish. Ryan, a mod on Discus As A Hobby, lives in Grand Rapids. He may have knowledge of some breeders.

Chicago is reasonably close and Jim Dvorak may have some fish. Send me an e-mail.

madcowl
02-11-2005, 01:12 AM
thanks guys , i have met with 1 private breeder here locally and bought some young from him too . his name is joe spaniolo and he probably knows the ones you mentioned too ? joe is a super nice guy and is very good at breeding his fish . i am impressed with his fish room and how many fish he has spawned .

i would like to see what the other michigan guys have actually .
i want to get lots of young to grow together as well so i would be interested in speaking with steve , ryan and the other private one you mentioned ?

thankfully i was able to reach cary and will be going tommorrow to get some fish from him . i will be looking for more i'm sure so i'll need to find out what they have to offer ? thanks again guys . ted

limige
02-11-2005, 09:15 AM
Well i have some small turks, a friend in st. clair shores tony has a bunch of crosses and some leps for sale. there's people around, i know someone at oceans and seas is into discus breeding as well.

ttyl
mike

madcowl
02-13-2005, 02:03 AM
i mentioned it on another thread that i caught up with cary and went to his place friday and bought some yetsterday . i am really happy with what i bought .i ended up with (5) 2-1/2" red leopards from cary , and joe from muskegon had me bring home 5 of the same for him .

i also got 4 adults that are some of my favorite colors (bright deep orange and blue pearl ) and are from a pidgeon /leopard mix .

i have some small red turks allready and some young pidgeon crosses from joe too.

i need to get my tanks all sorted out now before i buy anymore .

thanks for the help people . ted

my new ones from cary below

RyanH
02-14-2005, 09:19 PM
Ted,

There are a couple of smaller breeders in Western Michigan. One is Steve Vernon at MVPets in Kalamazoo. He may have some stock for you. Another is a private individual in Muskegon. If you like I can contact him to see if he has any fish. Ryan, a mod on Discus As A Hobby, lives in Grand Rapids. He may have knowledge of some breeders.

Chicago is reasonably close and Jim Dvorak may have some fish. Send me an e-mail.

Actually I'm a Mod right here. :D