PDA

View Full Version : help dad are fertilized the egg but still always turned white

leechiahan
02-01-2005, 03:36 PM
I have a pair that was paring up..
they have being breeding before about 6 time about 8 month ago. all 8 times eggs turn white so I thought they are still too young. but now they are about 2 years old now last week they start to lay eggs again but for 2 times the eggs still turn white...
I can see that dad are trying to fertilize but just every time egg turn white
can you tell me what is the wrong with the male Dady??
they are old enough both about 2 years old ...
can

Robin764
02-01-2005, 06:09 PM
I'm not the pro...but to save some time, I think the pros are gonna need your water parameters, especially your kh & gh readings. (hardness). If you have a test kit, take these readings and list them here, so they might help you better:) If your water is too hard the eggs won't hatch. (That much I do know:) Also if your water is too hard they will have you up and running in no time with solutions.

Good Luck!
Robin

leechiahan
02-01-2005, 06:28 PM
oh I think our water is really soft here in Vancouver BC
so i think this might not be the problem...

The Discus Shop
02-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Turning off the pump during spawning and adding some maroxy (antifungal) over the eggs daily really helped my discus eggs hatch.

April
02-20-2005, 03:55 AM
hi there leechihan..your still playing with the fishies? wondered if you still had discus..if their all going white..id say their not fertilized. not all males are fertile. thats why when you get a good male..you hang onto it for dear life.
our water is soft..and the eggs willl go allwhite if the waters not sparkling clear. we seem to get fungus very fast in our water here in vancouver. ive been using a very big tank..and way better luck at keeping the eggs from fungusing.

KIWI13
02-20-2005, 10:43 AM
I would have to agree with ROBIN. i would check the hardness and the ph levels. Even if you think the water is soft, its nice to have a precise reading. Sometimes males are simply sterile, just like any living creature, so you might provide the best but you cannot re-write natures way. If you think its not the water and if its not fungus then it could be sterility.

ShinShin
02-20-2005, 02:57 PM
Infertility in males is very rare. My guess would be water quality. I know Vancouver's water has less conductivity that mine here in the Tacoma area. I would check the ionic composition of your tap water.

Maroxy is okay to use to prevent fungus,as fungus will attack the dead (infertile) eggs, but is of no use to prevent the white eggs you have been getting.

Maybe you have that rare infertile male. Is this the only breeding pair you have? Can you swap out partners?

Kevin11d
02-20-2005, 06:19 PM
if the eggs are still dark orange after 40 hrs, does that mean they are fertiled? The problem with my eggs are that they start to turn white after 48-50 hrs.
My tds is around 80-100

Kevin

suisoman2
02-22-2005, 08:10 AM
I am also wondering about that last question.
In my case, only about 5 to 10 eggs on the edges turn white within the first 24 hours or so, the other ones remain amber untill they get eaten or after about 45 hours they start to run into problems, My question is similar, do fertilised eggs look amber after 40 hours and any loss is attributed to other causes?

Dirk

Carol_Roberts
02-22-2005, 05:59 PM
Nope, unfertilized eggs can remain amber for 50 hours andn then turn white

ShinShin
02-22-2005, 08:01 PM
It's my understanding that infertile eggs turn white within a 24hr. period. Turning white after that is a water problem.

Kevin11d
02-22-2005, 08:15 PM
What could be the problem to the water then?
Here is my water parameter.
temp: 30c
tds: 80-100
ph: 6.0

Kevin