PDA

View Full Version : cushion tank bottom ?

alpine
02-01-2005, 08:01 PM
Any suggestions on what material to use under tank so it comforms best and gets equal support on my plywood stand ? The stand has a slight twist, I think is because is so long ( 10 feet) . I believe when the weight of the water is added it will settle even but I would like to add something under to feel more assured.

thanks for any input,

Roberto Munoz

etr63
02-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Hi Roberto

I use the foam insulation board that you can buy at a home improvement store. Can be cut to size to fit under your tanks.

HTH
Earl

nacra99
02-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Hi

I use either white styrofoam sheets or pink insulating sheets.

Cheers
Marc

alpine
02-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the replies. I found 4 feet long pack of eight styrofoam sheets at Lowes. It was perfect . It was an eight of a inch shorter than four feet , so the 55 gallon had to be a sixteen short in each side but I guess thet will be OK.

Roberto.

discuscraze
03-20-2005, 01:19 AM
I have a 65g tank directly on a metal stand and the whole setup is in the living room. Every time my kid runs across the room the discus get spooked - sometimes dart on to the glass walls. I looked at the "pink" styrofoam sheets used for insulation at home depot. It seemed like it would get crushed under the weight of the tank. Am I wrong? If it gets squashed will it still provide any cushion and dampen vibrations?

Regards,

Howie_W
03-20-2005, 10:45 AM
Any suggestions on what material to use under tank so it comforms best and gets equal support on my plywood stand ? The stand has a slight twist, I think is because is so long ( 10 feet) . I believe when the weight of the water is added it will settle even but I would like to add something under to feel more assured.

thanks for any input,

Roberto Munoz

Hi Roberto,

Styrofoam and similar materials will provide insulation to the bottom of your tank but not support. If the center sections are bulking you need to install vertical center supports to evenly distribute the weight.

Howie

korbi_doc
03-20-2005, 10:46 AM
:D You'd be surprised, doesn't get squashed that much! Yes it will still cushion & dampen vibrations, but if I had that particular problem, I'd probably use 2 layers :crazy: .
I do think the discus will still do some of this, cuz they'll respond to the visual stimulus of the "kids" running too, JMO, Dottie :sun: