PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Earthworms

KKC
02-02-2005, 08:33 PM
Has any one tryed feeding earth worms regularly ? Is it worth the effort and if it is
any pointers on best way to feed them as there a little on large side.

korbi_doc
02-02-2005, 09:09 PM
:D Personally, I think they're great! I've fed them at various times, & have "kept" them successfully, but not this time. However, I will try again when I've relocated & settled with my new fishroom. I feel they're really good food for the fish, & they're "free" & pretty "easy".. If you get a culture going well, there should be some smaller ones to use for feed, & keep the larger adults for breeding. I think cuttin'm up with scissors in the palm of your hand is the easiest way to get'm small enough for the fish. JMO Dottie :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2

mench
02-02-2005, 09:29 PM
I have a culture of red wigglers going and I don't cut them up..it is cool to watch the lil guys run around with this big worm hanging out of thier lips...and they love them

Mench

Terrybo
02-02-2005, 09:41 PM
I just got my first batch of red wigglers, and they are too big for my fish. (Even the adult fish). They take turns grabbing them, then spitting them back out, and finally discard them on the bottom of the tank. I got brave tonight, and although it really unnerved me, I chopped up some worms into bite size pieces - they still spit them out!

I have some worms that are skinnier than others, but none that are really small.

Terry

ed8t
02-02-2005, 10:30 PM
It takes awhile for the fish to get used to it, initially my fish would grab pieces and repeatedly spit them out before finally chowing down on them. Sometimes they would gang up on one worm and tear it out of each others mouths until it's gone.

The bigger red wigglers I save as breeders so I look for the smaller specimans. Harvesting is the toughest part but I find that laying a piece of fruit a couple of days before feeding time would bring in a nice mass of worms underneath the fruit. So pick and choose your feeding worms and snip them up with scissors.

Terrybo
02-02-2005, 10:35 PM
Thanks - I'll keep trying.

I can't even believe I'm touching worms, much less cutting them up! :crazy:

ed8t
02-02-2005, 10:46 PM
lol - I avoid looking in the mirror after a redworm feast :o

blaze
02-02-2005, 10:48 PM
a note of warning... some ppl have an allergic reaction, hands itching,swelling or worse...benadrill(spelling) or any other anti-histamine works. Or just wear rubber gloves

jules
02-03-2005, 07:41 AM
I tried also and they were too big for their little mouths. I didn't have the nerve to cut them up anymore.
The Oscars loved them whole and they grew like bad weeds.
Benadryl for allergic reactions; I use it when the bloodworms don't agree with me.

jim_shedden
02-03-2005, 09:03 AM
ahhhhhh......a topic after my own heart:)

I have been feeding earth worms for about 3 years now. Here is what I do.
First of all.....catch some.
I then put them in water for about an hour. This cleans them out. Then I will take the ones that I am planning to feed to the tank and put them in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Put them on tin foil, it makes it easier. When you take them out of the freezer they are very firm and easy to cut up. I hate trying to cut up a 6" earth worm when its alive.........not fun. Feed the pieces to the tank. I usually cut up about 2 days supply. This makes it a lot easier. The discus love them.
I also add them to my beefheart recipie.
Note: Be careful where you get your earth worms. After it rains I walk along the street and pick them up along the gutter. I just try to make sure that the lawn where they came from was not fertilized. I don't want the fish picking up any chemicals in their diet. Funny.............it doesn't seem to bother us....but there is no way I am feeding that stuff to my fish:)

Jim

bottombare
02-03-2005, 03:53 PM
When it rains i go outside,pick up all the worms wash worms grind worms with same grinder i grind mine beefheart with,put worms in zip lock bag,place between two packs of bloodworms put in frezeer next day break of small piece throw in tank works like a charm.