PDA

View Full Version : Help with spawning pair

Alaskaknucklehead
02-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Hi all, my two largest discus have paired up and laid thier first batch of eggs last night. :D

Thats all cool and all but the but here are my concerns. The oldest is @18mos (male) BT, my little female I added along with 5 other rocky mountain's last november. She was the largest of the batch, (@4-5") a RSGSS. I est. her age at just under a year?? As of this am about half the eggs have darkened up petty well, but arnt these two too young to succesfully breed?
My primary concern is the 4 other juvinile 3-4 inch discus in the tank, so far they dont seem interested in the eggs, not that the parents woulds let them near them anyway. They have sectioned off half of the 55 and are guarding it well. They were not at all shy about spawning either, they could have cared less about thier owner who had his face stuck on the glass going.... ewwww... ahhhh.... wow...

I dont have the $ to run out and get another tank rightnow, what other options do I have?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Adam

Robin764
02-04-2005, 06:06 PM
There are dividers available at most local LFS's for standard 55 gal's. I would give that a shot until you can purchase a breeder tank. Keep us posted on their progress!

Robin

Alaskaknucklehead
02-05-2005, 02:33 AM
well big no-go on the divider my LFS carries them, just out of stock. They even checked there other stores noone has them. My wife says I should just order one but by the time it gets here :(

I gotta think this may just end up being a "practice" run for them???

Carol_Roberts
02-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Practice is good :) A divider won't help much, a seperate tank is better.

Alaskaknucklehead
02-05-2005, 11:21 PM
:D Got my eye on a 46gal bowfront for thier tank...