PDA

View Full Version : whlte around mouth

cod
02-08-2005, 12:40 PM
I broke a cardinal rule and added some tetras to my tank with out going through a quarintine period. five of the 6 tertras died and i lost a clown loach and my smallest of 6 discus. I have a 55 gallon tank and use tap water. The water is hard and the ph is about 7.6. have four discus for 2 yrs and two for 1 year . the newest smallest died. changed color black and white patches and died in one day. I thought I was out of the woods but now a second discus is staying in a corner on the top of the tank, his color is off and I now noticed some small white projections around his mouth . his breathing seems labored.I am going to but him in a hospital tank with salt and raised temperature to 90. anybody have any thouthts
cod

aggie_67
02-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Not an expert by far, hopefully one will answer but IMO with what you have done first I would cull the remaining tetra (not worth taking a chance) then I would treat ALL your discus in a hospital tank and sterile your main tank with potassium permanganate before putting them back in.

brewmaster15
02-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Hi What kind of time course did all this occur in?

-al

cod
02-08-2005, 03:02 PM
I noticed the white today. looks like al jolson with white around lips.maybe under the weather for two to three days. slighly darker and staying away from other fish.
cod