PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Object

Cosmo
02-08-2005, 11:30 PM
Tonite for the second time this week, I found what appears to be hardened slicone in my large acrylic BB tank. The first one I found floating, it was about 3/4 in long and kind of fat like a big turd would be, but.. it was the color and consistency of semi-dried clear silicone (no odor either.. lol ) ... tonite, found a long, about 3in thin strand on the bottom.. straight as an arrow, when I fished it out it was the same color but harder.. like silicone that has dried more... thing is.. I haven't used silicone anywhere near where it could get into the tank :confused: I do rub down the cannister gaskets occassionally w/ silicone lubricant.. could this be what it is :confused:

Didn't take a pic cause it wouldn't really tell you anything.. it's definately not something that was ever alive and came out of one of the fish...

Tank was recently down and thoroughly cleaned.... anyone have any idea's :confused:

Jim

brewmaster15
02-10-2005, 04:42 PM
HI Jim,
What kind of filters are you using on the tank?
-al

Cosmo
06-16-2005, 09:29 PM
Ok.. I first posted this about 4 months ago and finally figured out what it was... so I'm a little slow :p :D

Turns out my Heckel lost a Pelvic Fin, but I don't know why and he seems perfectly healthy :confused:

But.. I'm convinced that this is what I found back in Feb.. the remains of the pelvic fin :(

Anyone have any ideas of why he would have lost one? Never seen any real aggression in the tank.. no marks on him or any others that I can remember... wait.. my brown had some "skin" issues about that same time... The Brown is fine now too, but..

wonder if the two are connected?

Jim

Spices
06-17-2005, 09:20 AM
I saw something like what you've described when I had the old tank setup with the Goldens I once had. I don't know if aging has something to do with it as those Goldens were around 6 inches and two years old (with me). But they too were healthy, eating well, and feces were dark and they swam very well.

Angie