PDA

View Full Version : Painting room where aquarium is located

jason095
02-09-2005, 12:01 AM
My wife and daughter want to paint the room where my 125 gallon aquarium is located. I could use some comments or references from impartial folks with aquarium maintenance experience.

The aquarium includes a variety of live plants, discus and assorted community fish (cories, tetras, o-cats, etc.). There are about 4-5 inches of clearance behind and beside the tank... although a variety of hoses and electrical wires run down the back, to equipment in the base.

I'm concerned that paint fumes would harm the fish and while I believe I've read comments about not painting so close to an aquarium, I can't presently find any such comments/advice.

Do any forum members have first hand experience they can share, or references to advice regarding the wisdom/risks of painting close to an aquarium?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Carol_Roberts
02-09-2005, 12:12 AM
Use latex paint. Turn off air driven sponge filters, cover tank, open windows . . . .

lauris
02-09-2005, 10:22 AM
i was just painting in my fishroom last night and managed to slop paint (more than once) directly into tanks of fish. did not appear to cause them any distress. i do not recommend that technique, but i don't think you would have any problem painting in the same room. also, as always, follow carol's advice. i wish she gave stock tips.

alpine
02-09-2005, 05:02 PM
What about enclosing the air pump in a box with carbon that way the air would be purified before entering the aquarium ...

Roberto.

Cosmo
02-09-2005, 08:46 PM
My wife had the room where my 90 gal used to be located last year. Before I left for work in the morning we had an agreement that the wall the tank was against wouldn't be painted... similar colors, this wall is out of the way, in shadows, etc..

I get home, and she tells me the painters said it wasn't a problem and that they were able to paint most of the wall except for a very small area behind the center of the cabinet where they couldn't reach.

Tank itself was covered, but not the air pumps or filters.. very small bit of paint where rollers brushed against a hose.. nothing more

no ill effects were experienced... fortunately for all concerned... :D

It was latex paint, windows were open (I'm told)

Jim

Greg Richardson
02-09-2005, 10:28 PM
Jason. Use 1 mill visqueen to cover tank.

Take masking tape. The blue painters tape by GM.
Mask off from the ceiling.
Put half of tape on ceiling leaving half exposed to attach visqueen.

When masking go out 6 ft from front of tank, around 3 ft from sides, with back side of tank masked to floor up against tank so you have clearance to paint wall behind tank.

What this does is allow enough air in area to leave your filters on.

Paint everywhere including behind tank and up to where your cacoon is on ceiling. Once you are to this point take visqueen down from ceiling and let it drape over tank while you finish that small ceiling area.

Before start of painting use box fans in any doorways or windows you have available to push air outside.
Besides helping dry it quicker this cutting down on left over vapors after drying time is done.

You can find many good latex paints with short drying time available on the market which will take away some of your concerns also.

aggie_67
02-10-2005, 12:43 AM
If you are really concerned you could put activated carbon in your recirculating water filter. It would absorb any chemicals that might find it's way into the tank. After painting is finished then remove carbon.

mikeos
02-10-2005, 05:32 AM
Seal the top of the tank with thin plastic & tape, turn off the lights.

fit airstone/s & long air line to another room or even outside if its not too cold & pump air in from there, pierce the plastic with a sharp knife to let the air out, how many holes depends on how much air & the tank size but you want the plastic to be "inflated"