PDA

View Full Version : I guess I like to learn the hard way...

177ichael
02-09-2005, 01:12 AM
My 50g Rubbermaid Roughneck lasted all but 4 days... Went to do my water change tonight and low and behold the tub had sprung a leak. I read somewhere that people have not had good results with these containers.. I may try the flat bottom type Rubbermaids next time around like someone had suggested. If at all possible, I don't want to spring for a Jehmco, but then again I don't want to have to worry about this happening again.

Have people had better results with the flat bottoms?? If so, what model specifically has worked for you long-term?

Appreciate all the advice. Thanks.

GulfCoastDiscus
02-09-2005, 12:18 PM
Hi Michael,
Try the 55 gal plastic drums. Cut the top and clean them out. Looke for them in the reseller newspaper.
I've had them with no problems.

dan

Moon
02-09-2005, 01:41 PM
Dan
The pipes in the pic are they drain of fill?

GulfCoastDiscus
02-09-2005, 01:50 PM
Dan
The pipes in the pic are they drain of fill?
Hi Moon,
All my tanks are drilled for an overflow. The pvc pipe is to fill the tanks.

dan

177ichael
02-09-2005, 02:31 PM
Nice setup. The drums look good, but I don't have the room for them where my tank is located in my garage. I bit the bullet and decided to order the 65g storage container from Jehmco.. I figure that I love this hobby and will continue to keep fish for a long time, whether it be FW or SW or both in the future. I don't want to have to worry about the rubbermaid type containers springing leaks on me once again..

GulfCoastDiscus
02-09-2005, 03:20 PM
Micheal, One drum is 55 gal. and the it only cost me 10.00 ea. These three are connected together with bulkheads to hold my RO for the breeders.
I have another 330 gal. storage tank to hold tap for all the other tanks.

dan

Cosmo
02-09-2005, 03:53 PM
I used a flat bottom 44gal toughneck rubermaid for quite some time w/ no problems. As I remember though, they cost about 45 bucks while a 65gal round storage tank from Jehmco is about 90.. at least used to be. I was going to buy one of the 50gal on wheels but when the wife saw it, she insisted I get the Jehcmo one cause she didn't want the wheeled trash can in the house (at the time, my RO was setup in the guestroom showerstall :) )

Jim

korbi_doc
02-09-2005, 04:15 PM
:D I've used the 32gal RMs now for 3 yrs with no problems. Just a little hard to reach down to the bottom to clean, so it doesn't get done very often. These even have the wheels, but I place them to lean against the tanks & this seems to help, they do not stand alone well.. I have 2 55gal white drums for later, & they should last forever & are "cheap".. The RMs are in the LR between the 2 large tanks, 90&125g, but then I don't have an S.O. to object to them, oh well, lol, Dottie :)

177ichael
02-10-2005, 01:34 AM
Thanks all. I think I might have paid a premium for my storage container ordered from the east coast, but hey I understand that it's a business as well... Hope the container lasts for many years to come.

Moon
02-10-2005, 01:57 PM
Hi Dan
With your fill system, when you turn off the pump does th water drain back to your barrel or stay in the pipes. If the feed water stays in the pipes any concerns about bacteria build up?
Joe (moon)

GulfCoastDiscus
02-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Hi Moon,
The water fill valve is above the water line so it doesnt drain back. I do daily water changes so not concern about bacteria.:)

dan