PDA

View Full Version : Finding a good match up for my manderin

tpl*co
02-09-2005, 12:29 PM
Well, it looks like the infatuation of one breeding between my manderin and San Merah did not pan out (not fertilized in my community tank, the San Merah didn't know what to do, etc.). My manderin female does know what to do though. I got these two fish and introduced them into my younger discus stock. Of course the San Merah when introduced was a little bit bigger than my former head of the tank (a RT, the one that eats like a pig, and gets bloat once in a while because of it, I estimate he can't be more than 10 months old since when I got him around September he was around 2.5").

Well, to make a long story shorter, he's now the same size as the San Merah, and again on top (I definitely think he'll be much bigger full grown than the San Merah). The Manderin chose him over the San Merah to try and breed with (on the heater :( ) and of course he's too young and ended up eating the eggs as soon as she laid them. :( (they wouldn't have survived anyway on the heater). To his credit he did try to make a pass but looked really unsure of himself.

What should I do? At what age do fish become mature? Should I just keep these two together or try and find her another mate? Besides the San Merah all the rest are under a year old and are about 4-5 inches. She's just trying so hard to start a family and I don't have any males that are that commited yet! (or I have one Gomer and a bunch of teen agers :p )

Carol_Roberts
02-09-2005, 05:38 PM
You could try to find a male that is 18 months old or older . . .

tpl*co
02-09-2005, 07:18 PM
Thanks Carol!

I have a few irons in the fire trying to find someone for her (now watch and she'll probably not like who I pick!). Hopefully I can find a reasonable fish that I can quarantine before my trip in May so I can introduce them together in the main tank.

What types of fish would you think would be a good match up with her? I'd like a nice fire engine red fish in my tank so was looking for a red male, but was wondering if anybody had some nice crosses of other strains with manderin passions?