PDA

View Full Version : ACA update

mench
02-10-2005, 10:43 AM
Ok I just found out that so far ....110 Discus have been entered in the 2005 ACA meet in Dallas/Fort Worth.....I would bet that this will be the largest entry of a single species in ACA history..and they aren't done yet..I would guess there would be close to 150 fish entered...
So if that isn't a good enough reason to head south I don't know what is....

Mench

brewmaster15
02-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Thats Great Ron :) ,

How many Entrants does that number reflect?

-al

Jeff
02-10-2005, 04:44 PM
I know I have not put mine in yet. I know I will do 10-12. I also think Mike has not entered yet. I know he talked of 15+ that he has already. Maybe we can top 150.

Al are you entering anything? or have you already done so? I don't even know all the classes, but I think there is a wild class.

Danny. How about you? Are you entering this year?

Eric?

Tim?

Butch?

Mary?

Come on guys lets do it right!!!!

Jeff
02-10-2005, 04:57 PM
John,

Can you post the classes so everyone knows what they have they can enter? How do you enter a specific class?

brewmaster15
02-10-2005, 05:00 PM
Jeff,
I have no plans at this time to attend the ACA.

Sounds like it will be a good time though.

-al

mench
02-10-2005, 05:40 PM
Ok Jeff,here ya go

4 classes
1. Striated
2. Solid
3. Open
4. Wild/Wild type

Mench

Jeff
02-10-2005, 06:47 PM
Thanks pal.

gary1218
02-11-2005, 08:11 AM
Sure, seeing all those discus is going to be GREAT. But for me the biggest reason to head to Texas is to see John Nicholson on his own home turf :D

GARY

mench
02-11-2005, 09:10 AM
Al I am not sure how many people have entered fish..I will try to find out from John. I also would like to know from someone that has been to the Asian shows..Jeff.... and someone that as gone to the German show,to tell me just how many entries they have for those shows..interested to see thier numbers..
Another update on the ACA...Jack Wattley and Dick Au are going to gest speakers...so if ya want to meet two of the gteats in the discus world ,get a photo op or get thier book signed,well the ACA is the place..should be fun..the last time these men were at an ACA they spent a lot of time in the different discus rooms just sitting and talking to us discus nuts,what an experence that was just sitting there listening to them talk about how they got started,tips on breeding etc,etc. So if you were undecided on going,maybe you should start planning on being there...We need to show the ACA and the rest of the world that the U.S. Discus community is becoming a major force.
More updates to follow.

Mench

John_Nicholson
02-11-2005, 12:50 PM
Mench I do not know the exact number of entries yet. We are expecting at least 100 discus. There are a lot of first for discus folks at this show.
1. 20 gallon tanks not 10's
2. heaters in the tanks already
3. discus in the of rack only (cut down on splashing)
4. 15 gallons of water in tanks (cut down on splashing)
5. 4 discus classes instead of one.
6. Two discus speakers instead of one
7. The annual meeting of NADA. This will be out first general meeting. Don't miss out

I am sure I have missed some stuff but I hope ya'll can tell we are really trying to do it up big. Our normal shows that we put on twice a year normally have around 200 show fish. I think that is realtivily close to the number of entries that Denver and Atlanta had at their ACA. With out large local group we could very easily have 500+ fish. This will be a BIG ACA with something for everyone. Like Mench said we need to show the ACA that the discus people are for real. If we miss this oppurtunity we will lose a lot of ground. Please come support the show. Doing so also supports discus in general which in turn supports all of our hobby.

-john

Jeff
02-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Singapore will have over 200 discus in aquarama. And maybe 800 other fish in it. I'm sure Hans will bring a lot to show. Maybe 30-40 discus in this show. It doesn't matter the more the better. There are a lot of discus hobbyists within driving distance of Dallas and I know they will be entering. This is something everyone should do. Just bring 3-4 of your best and lets show the ACA discus count!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not about if you can win lets just make a big showing. Soon you will be able to sing up for NADA as well. Things are finally coming together.

Carol_Roberts
02-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Yep, we're getting close to opening up membership to NADA and we'll have our first big genereal meeting in July at the ACA. Besides meeting Dick Au and Jack Watley most of the top discus breeders and importers will be there too. It's a great opportunity to visit with Jeff Young, Mike Hepner, Cary Strong, Hans, Jack Taylor and others, including me :)

It's a fun convention with room after room of vendors with all kinds of fish equipment and fish books . . . and you'll be able to see (and buy) hundreds of top quality discus.

Greg Richardson
02-12-2005, 01:19 AM
Hi Carol. Do you know when any of these types of conventions will be coming out to west coast? I live in Washington State.

Carol_Roberts
02-12-2005, 12:52 PM
A Northwest fish club would have to bid to host the national American Cichlid Association show - just like cities bid for the Olympics.

John_Nicholson
02-14-2005, 05:53 PM
Greg it normally takes a few years to get in the running for an ACA. My suggestion of coarse is to come to Texas this year and have a blast.....

-john

Discus_KC
02-15-2005, 10:41 AM
And to see John in his new attire !!!!!!

Talk to you soon John !!!

You have enough pumps yet. I still have extras sitting here.

Jack

kingbashi
02-15-2005, 08:07 PM
i cant wait to go!!!! i already packed my bags :D how many discus will be for sale----how do they sell them----how do we get them back home safe---if i cant there till saturday will they be all gone----i am just not sure how this show works--this will be my first time attending a freshwater show-

Carol_Roberts
02-15-2005, 11:19 PM
I think there will be hundreds of discus for sale. Many of the show entries will be sold on Sunday. The Professionals will have bags and air. Bring a soft sided cooler to take your purchases home by plane as carry-on.

kingbashi
02-16-2005, 12:33 AM
i'll bring a few :D :D thanx carol!!!