PDA

View Full Version : Drilling Glass - HELP!

KD
02-10-2005, 08:34 PM
I was wondering if anyone can help me out with this. I need to find out how to drill a hole in Mason Jars , large enough to fit an electric wire through it. I know some of you drill your own tanks and was wondering if anyone had any ideas to throw my way. I do have a drill press and electric drill and cordless drill.
I know this is not a Discus question and I have learned lots here with my Discus questions and figured someone may be able to help me out with this crafty questions about glass drilling.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Thanks!
Karen

RandalB
02-10-2005, 09:15 PM
You could try a Dremel Tool with a Ceramic Tile bit (diamond) I've heard of people doing tanks and glass jars for Co2 that way...

RandalB

KD
02-10-2005, 09:48 PM
Hello Randal,
If I can find it , my dremel is antique . Maybe a diamond bit on the dill press? Or try to drum up my antique and buy a new bit.
Thanks for you response!
Karen

alpine
02-10-2005, 09:53 PM
I just read a thread on making holes in aquariums by Jean in the other forum ..discus as a hobby. she had pictures of the bit and all the things she used and how. keeping water to cool the glass was very important. she held the water in place by using some kind of string putty as he drilled. Look it up in the other forum on a " jean " posting.
Hope this helps,

Roberto.

RandalB
02-11-2005, 01:41 AM
Jean's post is definately the way to go on a larger hole, I assumed that KD was looking for a hole small enough to pass a couple of wires through. With the dremel, the bit will cost about $6.00 and you can keep things cool with a spray bottle. Definately take a look at Jean's post if you want a larger hole.

RandalB

KD
02-11-2005, 07:30 AM
Thanks Roberto
RandalB, Yes it is for a small hole that would just need to fit an electric cord say the size of an extension cord. The spray bottle is a great idea on keeping it cool.
Thanks to both of you!
Karen

jeep
02-11-2005, 03:06 PM
If you have a drill press you're already set. Just use a masonary bit and a few drops of oil and go slow...

KD
02-12-2005, 09:33 AM
Hi Jeep,
The drill press would be alot steadier.
Thanks for the tip with the oil and bit!
Karen

Northwestcoastdisc
02-17-2005, 08:10 PM
I was working at sea star aquarium LTD, I had many time drill hole glass tank with 3/4" glass thick! i agree with Randel you can use vassel cream put on the ring where you want to make hole. the vassel cream can hold water during the drill in glass tank it takes few mins to make hole. When you make hole you use wet sandpaper to make edge smooth will not cut your finger.

HTH

Dunacn

KD
02-18-2005, 08:53 AM
Thanks Duncan!
Karen