PDA

View Full Version : intestinal parasite, which treatment?

steelheaderdu
02-13-2005, 04:49 PM
Hye guys,

I have been keeping discus off and on for over 10 years, and this is the first "worm" I've ever seen in my tanks. I think it's some type of tapeworm, but you experts may know better. The fish seems fine and is actively swimming with all the others. Out of the 10 fish in the tank, he's the only one I've seen with this affliction. Also, you can see in the background of one picture that the fecal matter is very dark (healthy from what I've always understood). Here are a couple pics for you to diagnose. If you can, please identify the problem and a type of medication or remedy. I do a 50% water change in all my tanks daily. Fish are fed flakes, beefheart, bloodworms, and brineshrimp. Thanks for any help. It's much appreciated.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/steelheaderdu/sickdiscus002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/steelheaderdu/sickdiscus004.jpg

John

Eddie
02-13-2005, 05:02 PM
I have the same thing going on with my fish also. I'm using Prazi Pro. The fish have been dropping worms steadily for 3 days. Try some Prazi Pro ;)

ShinShin
02-13-2005, 05:57 PM
I would recommend prazi as a treatment. Looks like a tapeworm. Tapeworms are easy to treat. Tapeworms only rob the fish of nutrition and are found in otherwise healthy fish. Fish inflicted with tapeworms do not grow well inspite of eating well.

steelheaderdu
02-15-2005, 06:04 PM
thanks guys,

I'll go get some prazi.

John

Alight
02-16-2005, 06:39 PM
Definitely tape worms. I just went through that ugly bout with my fish. Although you have only observed one, you will be amazed at what will come out of the fish when you treat with Prazi! I got Prazi Pro from Jehmco, but it won't be enough for the three treatments in a planted tank, so I got Prazi Pond from http://www.pondpetsusa.com/medications/prazi_pond.html .

They were really nice and worked out a very inexpensive, and very fast shipping method.

Tapeworms seem to be endemic in Discus. Had them in my fish when I bred them back in North Carolina many years ago. I really thought the new batch here didn't have any parasites, since I didn't observe any signs for two months, but now I wish I had treated them as if they have all of them when I first got them.

Cosmo
02-16-2005, 08:38 PM
I've had a similar experience with a batch of juvies I bought. Had them in qt 8 weeks and they looked great, but, just in case I hit them with Prazi before moving them into the community.

Dead Worms all over the tank 24 hours later :(

I think safest bet is to treat all new arrivals regardless of how they look or who they came from... only way to be sure.

Jim

Northwestcoastdisc
02-16-2005, 09:56 PM
Parazi is best work to kill tapeworms ;)

Duncan

Giniel
02-17-2005, 01:38 AM
When using prazi do you need to raise the temperature at all? And do you treat every day ? I need to do the same but have no experience in treating for worms?
Thanks Debbie

Eddie
02-17-2005, 02:05 AM
I only treated everyday because I changed 50% of the water everyday. I only replaced the lost Prazi from the waterchange. I didn't treat the whole tank everyday.
Example:
initial treatment-30 gallon tank/treated with 1.5 teaspoon
day 2 -did a 50% waterchange and added .75 teaspoon
did this for 7 days. then after 14 days from the last treatment did another dose.
Also, I did not change my temp. I keep my temp around 86-88
Hope this helps :)

Northwestcoastdisc
02-17-2005, 02:13 AM
also you can put parazi in your discus favorite food mixture. one time a day for 3 days. It works so well.

If you want go with basshead, Not for me.

First day I do 50% w/c add parazi in tank and food rest for 3 day to do w/c 50%. It works for me.

Hth

Duncan

NWCD

Eddie
02-17-2005, 02:18 AM
Duncan,
What is the amount of prazi you added to food ratio? Sounds good for future de-worming.

Giniel
02-17-2005, 02:18 AM
Thanks guys,
Do i have to treat for 7 days ? I do water changes every day if not every day then every other day. Up to 50% if everyother day.25% if every day.
Please advise on how often to treat.
Thank you
Debbie

Eddie
02-17-2005, 02:25 AM
Just figure out the ratio and add the lost Prazi from the waterchange. Just continue the treatment for 7 days. If you only change the water twice in those seven days add some on those days for the amount of water you added to the tank. Hope I'm not confusing you. :o

Giniel
02-17-2005, 02:27 AM
No not confusing just want to be sure I don't overdose my fish. I have a small reddish one that refuses to grow while others I got at the same time are 3 times it's size. Not sure if it will help it grow but at least it will be healthy.
Thanks
Debbie

Eddie
02-17-2005, 02:33 AM
Okay, glad to help. My fish really never showed any signs of stress or anything. Just make sure you don't add more prazi if your not changing the water. I'm sure you could overdose them if you continually treat the whole tank everyday for seven days. They probably wouldn't make it to the seventh day but I don't know and I wouldn't like to find out. :o

welcome,
eddie

steelheaderdu
02-21-2005, 07:32 PM
OK guys,

I added Prazi to my tanks. The breeding pair of blue diamonds I have are the only ones I've seen drop any worms (and I really didn't see any suspicion of this prior). The tank that the photo came from shows no sign of the worms, nor have I seen any fish try to pass them. Prazi hase been in the tank for over 36 hours. It worked within the first 12 on my breeding tank. Can I assume that I've done enough? I know at least one fish had the tapeworms in my big tank, as you can see in the picture. WHy am I not seeing any worms on the bottoms of my tank? Are my re-ingesting the passed worms?Thanks.
here's the photo one more time. I haven't seen this fish pass any worms...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/steelheaderdu/sickdiscus002.jpg

John

Alight
02-22-2005, 02:29 PM
Yes, the fish will definitely eat the passed tapeworms--with relish! Nothing better than worms for a Discus!

Disgusting to watch, but I don't think this will affect the treatment. You will need to retreat in 7 days, and at 3 weeks anyway, which will take care of any tapeworm reinfestation that might occur.

steelheaderdu
02-22-2005, 09:23 PM
thanks, alight. I figured that was hapenning... I also thought any eggs should be dead and have no effect on the fish.