PDA

View Full Version : peppering

Eddie
02-13-2005, 05:18 PM
I was curious about peppering. I've read alot about using a lighter backround but that is not working in my case. My fish had less peppering with a darker backround. It almost as if my fish are getting more peppering with age. My fish were almost totally without peppering when I got them and now they show peppering all over, mainly on the edges of thier fins and forehead. I would like some input on other reducing methods. Thanks

Carol_Roberts
02-13-2005, 07:56 PM
If you can't reduce peppering with clean water, clean tank, clean filters, and good food, then it is genetic. What ever pepper they have darkens with poor water quality or illness. With clean water and health the pepper is still there, but very light. Just like the stress bars are prominent when the fish are excited or stressed.

Eddie
02-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Thanks Carol,
I just found it to be odd that the peppering is increasing with age. :undecided

Northwestcoastdisc
02-13-2005, 09:27 PM
yes all the pigeon blood genes when they are getting older and get more black peppering.

If you want to rid off black peppering you have to find clean pb cross with your pb. the offsprings would have less black pepperings.

hth

Duncan

Eddie
02-13-2005, 10:21 PM
I guess I'm gonna have to become a breeder :D . I want to have some of my discus with ZERO peppering.