PDA

View Full Version : Floaters

Cosmo
02-13-2005, 11:05 PM
Can anyone tell me the way to prevent frozen food, such as Hikari bloodworms from floating on the surface of the tank?? I always pre-thaw in a net so I can dispense the worms around the tank.. most sink but a good number end up on the surface.. I tried in frozen chunks once but still had the floaters after they thawed

I have spraybars that get most of them pushed back down but they keep coming up, and, there are "dead" spots where they accummulate on the surface..

anyone have a solution?

Jim

Howie_W
02-13-2005, 11:26 PM
Jim,

I have a set of tiny steel measuring cups...not only are they great for making brownies...http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/1197.gif but I also use them for thawing and then feeding frozen bloodworms and beefheart. I drop the food in the cup with warm water to thaw for a couple of seconds and then place the food into the tank while still in the cup, making sure the cup is completely turned over...food always goes right to the bottom.

It also helps to turn down water flow when feeding. I only feed the amount I know the number of fish in each tank will eat in a few minutes...there's never enough left over to go floating up to the surface.

Howie

Cosmo
02-14-2005, 12:38 PM
Howie..

I do turn off the mechanical filtration, but to turn down the bio filters every feeding would be difficult... I'll give your method a try, but think I'll use tupperware instead :) ... do you ever let them get any brownie crumbs as a treat ? :D

Jim

Howie_W
02-14-2005, 05:10 PM
Jim,

The reason I like my little metal cups is that they are prefect for keeping sterile, considering how many times they get used everyday I think it helps.

The other thing you can consider using is a feeding cone or two...they can be suction inside the glass at the top, or allowed to free float.

Howie