PDA

View Full Version : Dumb heater question

jdellman
02-14-2005, 12:31 AM
I know this sounds basic, but can/do the glass heaters crack if left exposed to air long enough during a water change? I never had a problem with non-Discus tanks, but then again, I never changed as much water out of those tanks. If so, is there some time frame that is safe, or do you shut them off during every water change?

ronman
02-14-2005, 12:36 AM
Hi jdellman, some heater do crack and some don't. That's why I put my heater right at the bottom of the tank. hth.

ron

Eddie
02-14-2005, 12:37 AM
I always unplug my heaters fifteen minutes before changing the water and I wait fifteen minutes after the tank is filled to plug it back in. I don't really need to wait after filling because the WC water temp is exactly the same as the tank water. This just gives time for the heater to adjust to temp change ;)

RyanH
02-14-2005, 12:56 AM
I agree with Basshead. It will break if left on and exposed to air. It's happened to me enough times now that I should know. :angry:

Tad
02-14-2005, 12:59 AM
jdellman,
Most of us hobbyist have loss glass heaters due to cracking once or twice in our lives (while doing WCs). Safety is always first when dealing with electrical appliances and water :) So It is best to unplug heaters when you drop the water levels below the level of the heaters during WCs. When I clean my tanks I always unplug every electrical item used in that aquarium. (also important to re-plug things back in when done, Ive forgotten to do that before too :o )

The new Visitherm "Stealths" have an automatic shutoff when the water level is too low, thus a built in protector to prevent the loss of the heater. I myself am slowly converting to the new Stealths.

regards,
Tad

Eddie
02-14-2005, 01:03 AM
You know Tad, the new ebo's have that feature also. Maybe the old ones did also, but I ain't never trusting it. I'd hate for it to fail on me.
I feel you on the forgot to plug it back in. I did it last week for the first time. I don't even want to tell you what the temp was :o

Tad
02-14-2005, 01:20 AM
basshead,
I have to admit :( ..Tonite I was pumping water to fill my fry tank and forgot to unplug an Old Ebo that heats one of my storage tanks....didnt shatter (maybe lucky) so you might be right on that feature...but Im like you I have a hard time trusting some technology :) The new Stealths have a hard plastic sheath rather than the glass tube and that may help :confused:

regards,
Tad

Howie_W
02-14-2005, 10:03 AM
I started test driving http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/trans/fahr04.gif the Visitherm Stealths this winter and am quite happy with them...I've since been slowly replacing my old heaters with the new Stealth models.

Howie

mench
02-14-2005, 10:30 AM
No such thing as a DUMB question,just dumb people if they DON'T ask questions...Cracked glass,well that is why I went to the titiaumn guys..they won't crack,but you will still sometimes have trouble if the crap out...most of them just quit and stop heating..sadly one of mine.Won is the brand, went the other way and cooked one of my pairs...the water temp was 190 deg.

Mench

funkyfish
02-14-2005, 01:01 PM
i have 4 of the stealth heater's they are nice and so far reliable

Cosmo
02-14-2005, 02:16 PM
Hey... don't forget to unplug titanium heaters as well... they may not crack, but they sure will start smelling and looking strange :D Can melt the water seals too leading to premature failure (and electrocution ??)

jdellman
02-14-2005, 11:13 PM
Thank you for all the replies. After hearing abot the automatic shut-off, I looked at the instructions that came with my Ebo-Jagers, and it says it has a "low-water safety switch." Should I trust that, or slowly switch to the Stealth or maybe a submersible?

RyanH
02-14-2005, 11:16 PM
Whatever brand you decide to go with I would still unplug it a few minutes before you start your water change.

BTW, Ebo's are submersible. :) They just can't say so because of some certification that they lack.

jdellman
02-14-2005, 11:25 PM
If they are submersible, then I can just lower them in tank and not have to worry about changing them out or turning them off. Does it depend on the model number or anything?

RyanH
02-14-2005, 11:42 PM
There is no particular model number or anything. They have always had a "water level" line as far as I know. I don't think the Ebo's have ever been able to claim that they are submersible but I can assure you that they are.

I personally don't trust the "auto shutoff" feature that they claim to have so I never allow them to come into contact with air while plugged in. So I keep mine about 3 or 4 inches from the bottom and horizontal. This allows me to do large water changes without having to unplug them. Plus, I can get under them with my python or a brush when I'm cleaning the tank.

I hope I answered your question. :)

-Ryan

Howie_W
02-15-2005, 12:25 AM
If they are submersible, then I can just lower them in tank and not have to worry about changing them out or turning them off. Does it depend on the model number or anything?

The best advice I can give anyone is regardless of what brand of heater you go with, always install it on a day you can carfully monitor the temperature and make sure the heater is working properly and maintaining proper temp.

If you install heaters horizonatlly along the very bottom of the tank, this reduces the risk of having to worry about the unit being left on while above the water level.

Safest method is to always turn it off during water changes...easy way to do this is to plug them into a power strip and just flick it off and back on during water changes...I keep mine plugged into the same strip that my air pumps go into...helps insure I don't forget to turn them back on.

Howie

jdellman
02-15-2005, 12:45 AM
Thank you all for the information. Now I can lower them and not worry about them cracking. :)