PDA

View Full Version : dark and breathing rapidly???

cn84
02-14-2005, 01:45 PM
this morning, when i woke up...i noticed that all of my adult fish (10 of them) was at the surface of the water: dark stress bar, and breathing rapidly. i did a quick 50% waterchange and they got even worst. i have these fish for a year now. there was no sign of illness the night before. water is clear and clean, temp@ 90, BareBottom, internal & external filter (clean internal sponge every other week & external every week), feed tetrabit and beefheart. what can i do? so far i added Salt.

thanks

cn

Robin764
02-14-2005, 02:03 PM
Higher temps mean less oxygen and possible bacteria growth. I would start reducing temp gradually, and add some air-stones till the masters here talk you through possible fixes. Salt is good for a start!!
They will need to know how much you added per gallon, how big your tank is...what your parameters are, etc. For example ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, ph, if you've added anything new...
For now keep up with w/c and salt.
I would also check your water you changed the tank with. Do you use tap? RO? Check back hourly if you can....They are pretty quick with replies. But the more info you give, the quicker they can help. I do know you should only keep your temp that high if you are treating with meds (if high temp required that is)

Robin

Hope all goes well

Barb Newell
02-14-2005, 04:56 PM
Hi, I agree with Robin, lower the temp and add extra aeration. Check your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. Have you added anything new to the tank?

Barb

ShinShin
02-14-2005, 09:33 PM
90F!!! Why? There is absolutely no reason to have a tank >84F except to treat certain diseases. You said you have 10 discus. What size tank? O2 depletion may very well be the case, as well as any other changes in the nitrogen cycle. Did you check the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels?