PDA

View Full Version : Why Is it Cloudy?

aquaria_rn1
02-16-2005, 12:36 AM
Hello
I have a 55Gallon tank, I'm having a little problem in relation to the water quality. For about a month now it has been cloudy. On 1/22/05 my specs where: Temp 84-89. Nh3-0,N03-O,No2-0,dkh-3/53ppm,dgh-2/35ppm. Ph Always 6.4. It was slightly cloudy and I had done a 20% water change on 1/17/05. I had also added 2 red torquoise, 1 red blood pigeon and 1 green pleco (my wife absolutely feel inlove with it so we bought it). These new additions had been in QT for 6 and a half weeks prior to entring my display. I also added two large plastic plants for decor, I have been struggling to keep live plants. However, that's another thread. My tank consist of 8 other discus and two clown loaches. They have been in and healthy for approxametly 8 months. As I mentioned above, it's a 55 gallon. My filtration consists of under gravel filter, which I intend to remove soon, powered by air pumps. My main filtration is a Tetra Tec Powefilter PF300 rated for 60 Gallons. I have now added a new aquaclear power filter 50, rated for 50 gallons. This is my QT filter which I just bought and was not being used. (QT now down no new arrivals). This filter I placed yesterday. I have also done frequent water changes, started with a 50% change 0n 1/29/05. And have been doing 20-30% water changes every 3-4 days time permitting, the last was a 30% water change on 02/14/05. (Not such a happy valentines day as you can see.) My parameters at this time are: Temp 86, NH3-0,NO2-Trace,NO3-0,dkh-5/89.5 ppm, dgh-3/53.7ppm, and PH as always 6.4. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO TO BRING MY CRYSTAL CLEAR WATER BACK!! PLEASE HELP!!. Oh, I have tried using cycle in hopes the it was just that there was not enough beneficial bacteria. I don't think it's an algae bloom since it has not cleared up. Lights are: 2- 40Watts one Power glow/ one Marine glow both by Hagen INC. I hope this is enought info to generated a solution. Thank you in advance for your input. Desperately awaitng responses. :angel:

walk23
02-16-2005, 03:19 AM
i think upping your water change regimen would aid the quest to pristine water. Be sure and wipe down your glass walls and any euipment inside the tank, heater, holdercups etc. Also you did not mention when the last time you cleaned your Tetra 300, but it may be time. Be sure not to kill beneficial bacteria by cycling which pads you rinse out. I had the same problem a few days back and the filter needed a cleaning. I also upped my water changes and in a few days the water returned to crystal clear.
Hope this helps
Kevin :angel:

rambilt
02-16-2005, 11:57 AM
Hello
I have a 55Gallon tank, I'm having a little problem in relation to the water quality. For about a month now it has been cloudy. On 1/22/05 my specs where: Temp 84-89. Nh3-0,N03-O,No2-0,dkh-3/53ppm,dgh-2/35ppm. Ph Always 6.4. It was slightly cloudy and I had done a 20% water change on 1/17/05. I had also added 2 red torquoise, 1 red blood pigeon and 1 green pleco (my wife absolutely feel inlove with it so we bought it). These new additions had been in QT for 6 and a half weeks prior to entring my display. I also added two large plastic plants for decor, I have been struggling to keep live plants. However, that's another thread. My tank consist of 8 other discus and two clown loaches. They have been in and healthy for approxametly 8 months. As I mentioned above, it's a 55 gallon. My filtration consists of under gravel filter, which I intend to remove soon, powered by air pumps. My main filtration is a Tetra Tec Powefilter PF300 rated for 60 Gallons. I have now added a new aquaclear power filter 50, rated for 50 gallons. This is my QT filter which I just bought and was not being used. (QT now down no new arrivals). This filter I placed yesterday. I have also done frequent water changes, started with a 50% change 0n 1/29/05. And have been doing 20-30% water changes every 3-4 days time permitting, the last was a 30% water change on 02/14/05. (Not such a happy valentines day as you can see.) My parameters at this time are: Temp 86, NH3-0,NO2-Trace,NO3-0,dkh-5/89.5 ppm, dgh-3/53.7ppm, and PH as always 6.4. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO TO BRING MY CRYSTAL CLEAR WATER BACK!! PLEASE HELP!!. Oh, I have tried using cycle in hopes the it was just that there was not enough beneficial bacteria. I don't think it's an algae bloom since it has not cleared up. Lights are: 2- 40Watts one Power glow/ one Marine glow both by Hagen INC. I hope this is enought info to generated a solution. Thank you in advance for your input. Desperately awaitng responses. :angel:

You probably need to do a good cleaning or polishing the gravel. All I could think of.. Good Luck!

peteypob
02-16-2005, 01:37 PM
The under gravel filter is whats giving you a hard time with your plants. If you have any rotting or dead leaves those need to be removed they also foul your water. Algae blooms wont clear up unless you attend to them. In that case you could be having a mild case of green water.What your phosphates at? Not sure if I am reading right but do you have three filters on your tank? Are you putting any additives in the water? With a bio load like yours, WC's will play a big part on keeping your water alot cleaner. HTH
Pete

Cosmo
02-16-2005, 03:36 PM
don't think you specified how big the fish are, and, I'm a little unclear if you have 8 now or before you added the new ones :confused: Unless they're liitle juves though you're pushing the limits (actually, well past them) of a 55gal tank which could be a big part of the problem. Your trace reading of NO2 would indicate too that your filtration isn't up to the bio load. As mentioned already too, the UGF could be contributor cause they have a tendency to buildup a lot of gunk under the plates which can cause nitrates to go up and stay up despite WC's. If you're not vacuuming the gravel regularly and thoroughly you'll be amazed at the amount of detritus that will hide in there too.

Speaking of WC's, 20/30 % every 3 or 4 days w/ a heavy bio load is probably also part of the problem.. I'd recommend 30% daily for a week or so and see if that does the trick, then, try to keep to an every other day schedule if at all possible. Thinking you may need to invest in some larger bio filtration as well, especially if you're planning on keeping all the fish in the one tank...

You could always use something like Clarity from Seachem, but at best that will mask the real problem and you're better off resolving the root cause..

good luck :)
Jim

raymb1234
02-21-2005, 11:28 PM
I had a very cloudy tank caused by phosphates. I bought a Vortex Diatom filter which turned out to be a very good investment. I ran it for 3 hours the first time I used it and the water became crystal clear, like magic! The filter doesn't get rid of the cause of the bloom, water changes will do that. In the meantime I've been using the Vortex every 3 or 4 days and the water remains crystal clear. Later, Ray

Alight
02-22-2005, 12:48 AM
NO3 at zero doesn't make sense. Get a new test kit. Unless you have tons of plants, with the WC routine you are currently using, you are defying biology and chemistry.

8 Discus is a very heavy bioload, even it they are juveniles (maybe especially if you are feeding them as you should. You should be adding at least 2-3 ppm NO3 every day.

Mustang65
03-01-2005, 01:26 AM
Hi

#1 Your tank seems small compare to the number of fishes in it. even if your fish are still small

#2 Gravels It is hard to maintain a clear water tank without vaccumming the gravels everytime you change water, Fish poop get inside the gravels and poluate your tank. Under gravel system make it more difficult because not all the stuff get vaccumed.