PDA

View Full Version : RENA XP3

JiPrE
02-16-2005, 06:04 PM
Im using 2 rena XP3 on my community tank, 125 gallons and concerned about the return product water from the canister. It comes with either a spray bar or a nozzle. It seems to create too much movement on the tank. Can anyone tell me or suggest anything to minimize the flow of return from the canister? Thanks.

tpl*co
02-16-2005, 06:22 PM
I use the spray bar with the little controller on it that came with it. Did you install the flow controller on your unit? I've got this and a Penguin 330 on my 50 gallon and the fish love to be around the outputs :)

David_Hui
02-16-2005, 06:28 PM
I have two xp3 without flow control on my 140 and no discus seems to mind.

JiPrE
02-16-2005, 06:28 PM
actually i did. but i thought its just too much for them. the last filter i had was only a sponge filter, so adjusting them to the current is stressful, to my observation. the filter works very very good and im happy with it, just firguring out how to "minimize" the current as much as i can. thanks though.

Cosmo
02-16-2005, 06:48 PM
If you haven't already done so, tilt the spraybar so the water jets are pointing slightly upward. This should help reduce some current and give you better surface agitation at the same time.
Jim

JiPrE
02-16-2005, 08:39 PM
actually i did that and pointed it to the glass as well to avoid the current, but still. planning on redoing the spray bar to a longer pipe and more holes to reduce pressure, and hoping it would lessen current. thanks for your info guys.

peteypob
02-17-2005, 02:46 AM
On my ehiem I adjusted the spray bar to spit on the back of the tank. It puts out alot of current to my surface agitation, plants and Discus in my 125gal. It kinda makes the fish hang out in the front :D.
Pete

GEM
02-17-2005, 03:01 AM
HI :) :) i WOULD JUST ORDER ANOTHER SPRAY BAR AND PUT IN THE TANK USING A T CONNECTION; SHOULD SLOW THINGS DOWN?

GEM

tag
02-18-2005, 11:07 AM
Hi,

I run a rena xp3 and started out using the spraybar, the discus didn't seem to appreciate it now matter which way I turned the spray. By accident, the spraybar came off through a tank wipe down and I didn't put it back on immediately. The fish preferred the flow without the spraybar. Water runs along back top of the tank and I applied the flow control valve that came with the setup and turned it down some. I also run 5 large hydrosponge filters along the back of the tank.It's a 125. I don't find that the canister is the greatest biofilter...I prefer the sponges for that and use a prefilter on your intake....you'll be amazed at the amount of useless stuff that sticks to it instead of the canister filters.

Good luck with it

Tina