PDA

View Full Version : Prime Factoid

Cosmo
02-16-2005, 08:29 PM
Maybe I'm the only one who didn't know this, but... thought I'd share it just in case :)

Was time to restock my Prime supply, so checked the websites and ended up at BigAlsOnline where I saw a two litre of Pond Prime, and it was $1 less than the 2 litre regular Prime. Thinking it was like the pro strength Melafix I thought it was a great bargain, but, as usual, BigAl doesn't give you much info, so, I ended up calling Seachem before I placed an order and....

Pond Prime is EXACTLY the same product as "regular" Prime.. no difference in strength or concentration. :shocked: Only difference between the two are the directions (and cap size maybe??).

Since ponds are open systems, Seachem believes (correctly I'd say) that the greater surface area allows the toxic elements Prime neutralizes to naturally gas off on their own, so, the Pond Prime instructions tell you to add LESS per gallon than you would to an aquarium with the "regular" non-Pond Prime.

Had I not called, I may have bought the Pond Prime thinking it was stronger cause I added less, and potentially not added enough to protect my fish :(
Jim

jeep
02-16-2005, 08:38 PM
Jim,

I don't know who you spoke to at SeaChem, but Pond Prime is twice the strength of regular Prime. It even written on the lables. 500ml of Prime treats 5,000 gallons. 500ml of Pond Prime treats 10,000 gallons. Unless of course the labels are wrong and the CSR is correct:confused:

My water is treated with both chlorine and chloramines and i've never had a related issue while using PP at the recommended dosage :confused:

tpl*co
02-16-2005, 09:56 PM
I got a 2 liter bottle of regular prime from bigals too, but I had them price match www.marinedepot.com and got the price plus 5%. I think it came out less than $29 :). (considering the cheapest price at the LFS is $19 for 250 ml :mad: which is 1/4 the amount!)

Cosmo
02-16-2005, 11:41 PM
Jeep,

I called the number on Seachem's website.. the guy who answered said "tech support", so :confused: Said Prime is so concentrated they couldn't possibly make it more so :confused: Just ran downstairs to check.. pant.. pant.. pant... my 2 litre bottle of regular Prime say's it treats 20,000 gallons, or... 5,000 per 500ml. Thinking BigAl's said the Pond Prime treated 5,000 gal per 500ml as well, so, I'm :confused:

Try calling them and see what they tell you, then let me know cause now I'm really curious :p

Jim

tpl*co
02-16-2005, 11:53 PM
Since the directions for the different Primes are for two different applications (pond vs. aquarium) I wouldn't go by how many gallons either say they treat as to whether they are the same or not. Ask what the concentration of the active ingredient per ml is between the two products. This will be the true indication on whether they are the same or not.

PaintballFan07
02-16-2005, 11:54 PM
I just got a 2l bottle of prime from petsolutions. I paid $29.99. I thought that was a good deal compared to lfs chlorine removers

Cosmo
02-16-2005, 11:57 PM
TPL*CO... that's what the guy told me it was, exactly the same ingredients at the same concentrations :D

Paintball.. that's about what I paid BigAl... bet you didn't get Wednesday double VIP bonus points like I did though LOL ThatFishPlace was 32 something and the drs don't even carry the 2ltr ?

Jim

PaintballFan07
02-17-2005, 12:52 AM
TPL*CO... that's what the guy told me it was, exactly the same ingredients at the same concentrations :D

Paintball.. that's about what I paid BigAl... bet you didn't get Wednesday double VIP bonus points like I did though LOL ThatFishPlace was 32 something and the drs don't even carry the 2ltr ?

Jim

LOL, No i didnt get double VIP bonus points. Wish i did though. However i did get a free eheim wet/dry canister from petsmart. :) an extra 200 in my wallet

Cosmo
02-17-2005, 08:48 AM
Het Paintball.. didn't even know PetSmart carried Eheim :confused: Trade you my double bonus points for it....whatcha say ? lol

jeep
02-17-2005, 12:41 PM
I'd be interested in finding out what the truth is here. Why would they label the same product as being different strengths? Curious...

Again, in case you talk to them and you can tell them, I have one of each, both 500ml bottles. The label on PP says it treats 20,000 gallons and the regular says it treats 10,000 gallons.

Not arguing with you, just interested in the subject, LOL...

PaintballFan07
02-17-2005, 05:00 PM
Het Paintball.. didn't even know PetSmart carried Eheim :confused: Trade you my double bonus points for it....whatcha say ? lol
LOL, I think i may have to pass on that offer.

tpl*co
02-17-2005, 06:07 PM
Paintballfan how did you get a free wet dry filter???

OK, working with consumer products and labeling, companies often label and/or package what is essentially the same product differently for slightly different uses. Both directions are correct for their intended use (what it is labeled for) but it is the same product in the bottle in both products. Companies do this to tailor products to people's needs and label space, what may attract a potential customer (and sometimes to get around regulations). It's good to double check with the manufacturer first that this is what they are doing though, some formulations can be different.

PaintballFan07
02-17-2005, 06:16 PM
Paintballfan how did you get a free wet dry filter???

OK, working with consumer products and labeling, companies often label and/or package what is essentially the same product differently for slightly different uses. Both directions are correct for their intended use (what it is labeled for) but it is the same product in the bottle in both products. Companies do this to tailor products to people's needs and label space, what may attract a potential customer (and sometimes to get around regulations). It's good to double check with the manufacturer first that this is what they are doing though, some formulations can be different.Paintballfan how did you get a free wet dry filter??? Long story but i did have to pay for the shipping.

Cosmo
02-17-2005, 09:00 PM
tpl*co... you're absolutly right about the labelling gambit. That's why I call. Heck, me and the tech guy at Kent are on a first name basis :D (me and about a million others I'd guess... lol) Seriously though, I call manufacturers all the time, and tech support types... they love to talk about their products and you learn a lot. :)

Jim

April
02-17-2005, 09:23 PM
so...you mean you guys measure your prime???? ok..well i dont.
but..as stated..you need less in a pond due to the offgassing of a larger surface..faster..so hence using half and it treats more gallons. seems straight forward to me. i have heard its the same..you dont need alot..so just a little sploosh..and your set.

Cosmo
02-17-2005, 10:14 PM
April... ummm, how much is a sploosh ?? :D

tpl*co
02-18-2005, 12:39 PM
LOL, a capful of the 250 ml bottle treats 50 gallons, depending on how big of a water change I'm doing I put in 1/4 to 1/2 capful for a 15-25 gallon water change. I'll be keeping my 250 ml bottle for the handy measuring cap purposes :). It looks like a capful may be around 1 tsp? (don't want to measure it using one of my measuring spoons because this stuff stinks! I made the mistake when I was using Amequel (smells a little stronger but similar to Prime) of doing a water change before I went to work, P.U.! :embarasse Nothing like smelling like rotten eggs in public!

Seachem
02-18-2005, 12:56 PM
To clear any confusion or doubt, Prime and Pond Prime are indeed the same liquid formula. The dosing and labeling differ merely as a matter of focus toward use. The surface area in ponds allows for a dramatic difference in the need for dose volume and thus explains the difference in dose on the labels. Hoping this helps to resolve and questions. :)

Cosmo
02-18-2005, 08:50 PM
Well, guess that makes it official :)

jeep
02-19-2005, 10:31 AM
Again, that's nice to know. I started using Pond Prime on the recommendation of a former member and I have never had any chloramines/chlorine related problems. Had something happend while using at 1/2 dose, I would have been pretty upset.