View Full Version : home made breeding cone

HallooNYC
02-17-2005, 10:47 AM
any recommendations on some home made breeding cones? What kind of Pots can i use and which ones can actually contaminate the tank? thanks in advance!

Carol_Roberts
02-17-2005, 10:57 AM
You can stack the terra cotta clay pots or you can buy breeding cones. The plastic ones are the easiest to clean.

Robin764
02-17-2005, 10:59 AM
I've been using the inexpensive rose pots sold at Walmart for like 3 dollars. Only problem I have is the girth of these. If you are planning on breeding in 20's they take up a lot of room, and are not perfect at the rim. I see wrigglers falling off cone and sliding under....on a good note, much like brine shrimp, they are attracted to light and come right back out.
Also, some of the shorter ones have a hole in the top, that would allow for debris to settle inside. I found marbles fit perfectly in this hole to solve that problem.
Hope this helps....
Robin

HallooNYC
02-17-2005, 11:40 AM
So i guess any clay pot will do?

tpl*co
02-17-2005, 11:52 AM
When I posted before about breeding cones, some people had some great ideas on home made ones (still have to go and make one though ;) ) here's a link to the post:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=41414

I like the last PVC one. Gotta make one of these things and hopefully my pair will stop laying eggs on the heater! (I don't want them to have a successful spawn till after the middle of May though since I'm going on vacation, and don't want my fish sitter to mess up with a bunch of babies).

Robin764
02-17-2005, 07:48 PM
Wow! Thanks TPL*CO. I like the last pvc one as well. Think I'll try some.

Robin

Bomber - yup, depends on your fish though. They might prefer your heater, sponge filter tube, glass wall...etc. lol

tpl*co
02-17-2005, 09:23 PM
LOL, just like my female laying her eggs on the heater :(

fredwhit
02-18-2005, 03:43 PM
any recommendations on some home made breeding cones? What kind of Pots can i use and which ones can actually contaminate the tank? thanks in advance!

I used to make my own by first buying a 1/4" X 4" square piece of slate from Steve Rybicki of Angels Plus in NY. These are used for the 4" square foam filters he sells. Then using a hacksaw to cut a piece of 2" PVC at a slight angle. Using RTV I would glue them together, just make sure the height of the tube is lower than the height of the water in the tank. I like the tube to have a slight angle as it's easier for the fish, I think. HOpe this helps. Fred