PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlueVixen
02-17-2005, 04:55 PM
46 gallon box front
fluorite and play sand substrate
low level lights
planted (no drift wood)
2 whisper hang on back filters with bio wheels

2/15 ... replaced for one canister filter

2/16... since added back one HOB whisper

2/17 ... since added carbon, treated with Oxygenex

Here are the facts…

Step One: I had removed all the old filtration and replaced it with only the canister (I know now that this is where the problem was)

Step Two: I woke up the next morning and notice a higher turbidity than usual. (This is a planted Discus tank, play sand substrate) I gathered that the new filter did not have enough GPH, so I put the old filter back on. When I put the old filter back on, it had already been emptied of carbon and rinsed out; so it only had the old bio wheel and the floss in it.

Step Three: About 48 hours has elapsed since I originally did Step One. I woke up and noticed my discus head standing. I tested the water… Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate = 0. So I figured it was an O2 sat Issue. So, I frantically ran out to the store, bought “Oxygenex” and carbon and added both.

Results: Original discus I found head standing this morning is now dead. Another discus is darting around the tank and swimming on his side (swim bladder). The last two are very stressed out, staying right next to the inlet of the filtration.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Eddie
02-17-2005, 05:00 PM
maybe chlorine or chloramines. Do you have either, and if you do, do you use any water conditioners. I would do a big water change with some water that is free of chlorine and chloramines. from there, keep up with your water changes with aged water.

I've never used oxygenex so I'm not sure what that is all about. Do have any type of standard aeration?

BlueVixen
02-17-2005, 05:28 PM
I use RO/DI water... not an issue. I am reluctant to do a big water change with out sever justification. It might do more harm than good. I will do a 25% water change on friday, when they have had a chance to calm down.

Thanks for your advice.

Eddie
02-17-2005, 05:54 PM
yeah, I'm not sure about the calming down part. If they are gasping for air there is something wrong. I have only the air from my sponge filter and circulating water from my bio wheel and that seems to be more than enough air flow.

BlueVixen
02-17-2005, 05:56 PM
They aren't gasping. That is the one thing I thought was odd... head standing (the one that died), darting around (only the one), and the other two are just over where they normally sleep.

I found it odd that if this is an O2 problem, that none of the other fish are piping or gasping.

I don't know.

Eddie
02-17-2005, 06:00 PM
It just seems odd that the most major change to your tank was the filtration and now your fish are stressed. Something has to be tied to you filter or bio load. If your not getting any ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate readings then I'm stumped :confused:

Cosmo
02-17-2005, 06:52 PM
Not sure that's what it is, as I thought fish usually went to the surface for oxygen problems. IF it's a CO2 issue though, add airstones to disperse the CO2. You're plants may suffer, so you either need to move them out first or make a Sophie's choice. I'd also do at least a minor, if not several minor changes NOW rather than waiting for Friday :confused:

So long as the added water remineralized and similar to the tank water, it shouldn't make any difference that it's RO/DI.

good luck, hope the rest make it..

Jim

BlueVixen
02-17-2005, 09:05 PM
Eh, the plants are not the big issue. I'm a discus lover, I 'm just one of those who thinks they might like to live in a natural environment instead of loud pumps and bare bottoms. I don't use CO2 injection. I added an airstone earlier to see if that helps. The fish "seem" better, but are WAY wigged out. Usually they are so happy to see me come in the room, and at the moment, any movement seems to send them flying for cover.

After 1 year of time and love put into those guys, I am just heart broken that I lost one. They had just started pairing up. I really hope the rest make it through this.

Cosmo
02-17-2005, 09:07 PM
It hurts to lose them, really sorry about your loss and hope the rest make it.

Jim

BlueVixen
02-17-2005, 09:08 PM
Yay. Same as me. That's why I thought I would put up a post. I forgot my old login, that's how long it's been since I've been on here needing advice. I had to create an all new profile. I am stumped. I don't know what really happened. But I think you might have a point. Something had to be tied into the bioload. That with a combo of the O2 sats depleating overnight when the lights went of, coupled just led to a disaster.

I just hope they pull through.