PDA

View Full Version : carbon plus

DOC JONES
02-17-2005, 10:02 PM
has anyone used the carbon plus co2 system? Is it any good? How stabile is the release of co2? Is it better or worse than a standard co2 system? I would like to use it for a 55g tank if it is worth it.

Cosmo
02-17-2005, 11:48 PM
Doc,

Don't have one, but most posts about them haven't been favorable.
Jim

shalu
02-18-2005, 07:41 PM
Never tried it. To summarize the discussion on various forums: it is very expensive long term, not very effective and works by stripping KH from your water. If you have soft water to begin with, beware of a ph crash killing the fish.

Cosmo
02-18-2005, 11:24 PM
Yep, that's about how I remember it too

DOC JONES
02-19-2005, 11:11 AM
Well thats a big dont buy it then LOL. Thanks guys!! :D

lesley
02-19-2005, 06:47 PM
I bought a Carbo plus (something like that name) a year of so ago. Worked okay but then when carbon block (very expensive replacement) was replaced worked for another week, then died. Was told I needed to replace another part. Since I had only had the unit for nine months and it was obvious that most of it as going to need to be replaced each nine months (or less if unit left on 24 hours a day) I decided to cut my losses there and then.

Although it did help to kick start my plants, I have a low light tank with with anubias and vals mainly and the plants grow madly. Have to get in there machete every now and then. I think that I don't need a co2 unit, but if I was going to do it again would not get a carbon block unit.

Lesley

Grafenola
02-22-2005, 07:06 PM
I had one before and I agree with previous posters :(
Don't buy it