PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a show tank

peleg38
02-18-2005, 12:58 AM
I am setting up a 40g planted show tank currently and am trying to decide on stocking levels. My water is pretty hard and I'm not interested in breeding. the parameters will be stable before I add the discus. My question is how many. Unfortunately it will probably 2-3 years before I get a larger tank. I know the small tank size is very limiting and that is why I'm asking for opinions. I would like to go with 4 discus to minimize aggression but I'm afraid that will be over crowded.
Quick specs:
40g
5 cories
2 ottos
Rena filstar xp2
soon to be medium planted with 96w C.F. and injected CO2
big piece of bogwood
peatmoss base with 60 lbs of flourite ~4"

Eddie
02-18-2005, 06:45 AM
4 should be good but what size are looking to get. They should be larger since your going to have a planted tank. Youngins need superior water quality so you would be doing alot more water changes.

Howie_W
02-18-2005, 10:18 AM
Hi peleg 38 and welcome to the forum! :)

A couple basic things to consider about Discus; These are schooling fish and do better in larger groups. As a result, it's best to plan on having larger size tanks to support them.

If you begin with juveniles, a group of 6 to 8 is best to start with. Your 40 gallon layed out as a barebottom set-up with no other fish in it would be fine to grow out a group of juveniles. Remember, when bringing new fish home they will need to be quarantined for a minimum of 6 weeks.

It's much harder to perform large daily water changes and multiple feedings in a community show tank, and this combined with a smaller number of fish is not the best combination.

Howie

wvt9527
02-18-2005, 11:28 AM
I had 7 juvy's in a 32 gallon hex that was planted. they did well in it for about 6 months then I got a 70 gallon to put them in. The only reason I got the 70 was that when they got bigger that seam to be stressed out more. Just remember you will need to do WC as often as you can I would have to say at mimunim every other day 50 %. Good luck!

walk23
02-18-2005, 12:43 PM
5, start out with at least 3.5 inches! :angel:

Carol_Roberts
02-18-2005, 05:31 PM
I'd put two fully grown adults who get along in your show tank.

funkyfish
02-19-2005, 12:03 AM
i give up on planted tanks with discus to much work for me i think a big BB tank with a bunch of discus in it looks good . cosmo has a nice set up love that tank :D