PDA

View Full Version : Discus dying - help!!!!

mjfpc
02-19-2005, 06:56 PM
I have a 45 gal extended hex planted aquarium.
rena xp1 filstar filter
temp 82 degrees
no ammonia, nitrate or trite
had set up for about a year and a half
have 10 cardinal tetras and 5 rummynose all doing great
ph 7.2
use ro water
water changes 25% weekly

last march introduced 4 discus to this setup - about dollar size - purchased from pet store, They were all fine, eating etc for about a week. Then after that each stopped eating, flopped over on side, couldn't swim and eventually died.

Tried again a couple months later, slower less invasive water changes. Same water parameters. all other fish ok. 2 discus lasted about week and a half then died.

Purchased both batches from the same place.

I would really appreciate any suggestion!

Thanks

Meg

Barb Newell
02-19-2005, 07:01 PM
Hi Meg, are they all dead? or are some still alive. I would recommend getting your discus from a reputable breeder. Often, they are diseased from the lfs. If you start out with healthy strong babies, you are more likely to succeed.

I find young discus do best in bare bottom tanks, daily water changes, wipe the sides and bottom of the tank down often, create as stress free environment for them as possible. I don't buy anything from the lfs and put it in my tanks. Frequent small feedings of a variety of foods including beefheart, bloodworms, a good flake.

Barb

mjfpc
02-19-2005, 07:03 PM
Hi Barb

Yes they all died.

I am nervous about getting more - concern with my setup? Is there somthing else i should check?

Meg

Barb Newell
02-19-2005, 07:05 PM
Sorry, I'd get rid of the gravel and increase your daily water changes. Why are you using ro and not aged dechlorinated tap water? and again, get your fish from a reputable breeder rather than the fish store.

Barb

mjfpc
02-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Thanks

using ro becausae read that ro is the type of water to use. Will try aged decholorinated.

My tank is planted - should i take out plants and laterite and just have it bare? I was hoping to raise discus in a planted aquarium. Maybe it would be easier to start out with a bare aquarium?

I am looking for reputable discus breeder. I live in Alberta, Canada. Any suggestions?

Meg

jules
02-19-2005, 07:47 PM
Darcy might have some fry.(or Ron, Smokey)
Barb has terrific fry.

Julie

Carol_Roberts
02-19-2005, 08:36 PM
Are you using pure RO water? IF yes perhaps you had a pH crash.

I bet you can use aged tap water. What is your GH? What is the pH of a cup of water after it has set on the counter over night? Discus remain healthiest with lots of water changes. Many of us change 50% of the water everyday for juveniles. Adults like water changes 3 or more times per week.

fish_maniac
02-20-2005, 12:36 AM
Meg,
Welcome to Simply! I am sorry that thing didn't work out as you planned. I also found that to have around 6 juveniles in a tank is easier than 4. They eat better when they are in a group. I used to have plant in my my tank but I took all the gravel out and put the plant in a pot. It is much easier to clean this way. Good luck and check our forum. There are a lot of excellent info for the beginner to read. I know since I am a beginner myself.

Kam

walk23
02-20-2005, 01:42 AM
Meg, try this. In your planted tank, if you decide to do discus, 2.5 inch to 3 inch discus. I believe younger juvies have a more adaptable immune system than those of older fish that are bare bottom raised.They may not grow as fast or as big but ultimately I believe they are less prone to die off because their immune systems are more able to substain larger water parameter fluctuations. I have found water changes of 25% per day in a planted tank does well.Be sure and check your nitrates for a feel for what works and read your fishes behavior.
Hope this makes sense
Kevin :angel:

mjfpc
02-20-2005, 06:27 PM
Thanks Everyone
I really appreciate all your suggestions
I am wondering if I had a ph crash with RO water so have switched to dechlorinated tap. The ph has remained stable at 7.2 no matter when I test. My plants have started to grow vigorously as well.
Would daily water changes be a good idea for keeping the water cleaner? I really hate the thought of dismantling my planted tank.
I have also been reading that adult discus might adapt to a planted tank easier?

Meg

Tiptoptank
02-21-2005, 10:19 PM
I'm am in the same boat as you. To be frank it sucks. I learned that you really can't have little discus in a planted tank because they are much more fragile then adults. And, I would never break down my planted tank, it is way to appealing, So what I did is, setup a 20 g tank with a sponge and trickle filter. I did this first because my discus got ich within 4 days of putting them in the planted tank. 8( . THen I put my fish in it treated them for ich and started doing 40% water changes daily. One of my discus still got sick and is looken like he is not going to make it. But, the other two are doing great. One has double in size in 2 months 8). I plan on prazi'ing and clouting my planted tank till it can't take it anymore. Then wait for the filter to biuld up again. By then my discus will be about 3.5-4 inchs and should be able to handle the planted tank. I hope! :confused:

mjfpc
02-24-2005, 10:28 AM
sounds like a great idea. How long - months? - before putting them back in the planted tank?

Howie_W
02-24-2005, 02:48 PM
On average, Discus go through the majority of their growth within the first twelve months, and will continue to grow between 1 1/2 to 2 years at a much slower rate.

Any juvenile fish that I plan on putting into a planted tank, I wait until they are at least a year old.

The easiest way to grow out Discus is in a bare bottom tank; easier for water changes, feeding, and maintenance.

Howie

Tiptoptank
02-24-2005, 03:15 PM
The easiest way to grow out Discus is in a bare bottom tank; easier for water changes, feeding, and maintenance.

Howie

This is correct. I feed them 3 times a day all types of food and it is a breese to clean. Just a quick syphon and its clean. It is also great for getting my picky eaters to eat other foods besides blood worms. Mine still don't eat pelets like I would want them to but they have started eats cichlid delight by "Sanfran" Medicating is much easier as well since the tank is only 20g